Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

United States Military Academy at West Point?

I need to know some information about West Point. I am looking to go there in a couple years. Right now, I am a sophomore in high school. Here are some questions I have:

What is the Average GPA:

What other things do I need to get in?

Would running track give me an advantage getting in?

Is it a good school?

Is there a possibility I would have to fight in a war?

Is it better than Air Force or Navy?

Is it true that if you go to West Point, they will pay the tuition for the college of your choice? (ex: Your at west point for 4 years and you want a Master's. Would they pay for me to get one at a different college)

Is it really hard?

Any other info:

I didn't Google, it because I would information from a person, not a robot. I also would like some of the answers to be based on person experiecnes

Favorite Answer

What is the Average GPA: Expect it to range from at least a 3.7-4.0 with the toughest classes you are able to take. Score well on the ACT and SAT too.

What other things do I need to get in? You will need Athletics and Leadership play a sport at varsity level and find some way to be a leader whether it be in student government, clubs, civil air patrol, or scouting.

Would running track give me an advantage getting in? It will give you an advantage if you excel.

Is it a good school? It is one of the best.

Is there a possibility I would have to fight in a war? You will be a commissioned officer in the Army. Expect to go to war.

Is it better than Air Force or Navy? No. People will say that their branch is better than any other but in reality, we are all on the same team. Army and Navy have a really awesome rivalry though. I went to the Naval Academy over the summer and every night before we were dismissed to go to bed, we would sing the Alma mater, and ended it with a loud "BEAT ARMY".

Is it true that if you go to West Point, they will pay the tuition for the college of your choice? (ex: Your at west point for 4 years and you want a Master's. Would they pay for me to get one at a different college) No

Is it really hard? It will be some of the hardest years of your life. The reward is far worth it though. If you can get in, take advantage.

Any other info: Since you are a sophomore you should apply for the Summer Leadership Seminar at West Point. I went to the Naval Academy Summer Seminar and it was one of the best experiences I have had so far. I highly encourage it.

Source(s): I am currently applying to the service academies. If you have any more questions, feel free to send me an email.
  • Tom

Q: What is the Average GPA?

A: The relevant data for the Class of 2013 is contained in the Class Profile.

http://admissions.usma.edu/moreInfo/Profile2013.pd...

The Academic Composite makes up about 60% of the whole candidate score used to make selection decisions. The Academic Composite consists of the PAR(prior academic record + SAT/ACT scores.)

PAR = Weighted GPA + Class Rank based on Weighted GPA corrected for the competitive level of the school taking account of the percentage of students continuing on to a 4 year university. A relatively low PAR can be compensated for by a high SAT/ACT or the other way around, but a relatively low PAR and SAT/ACT while each meeting minimal standards would not be competitive.

Q: What other things do I need to get in?

A: The Air Force Academy website offers great advice for prepping for a service academy.

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

[Be sure to open all links to the left of the dialog box.]

See Class of 2013 Profile linked above for expected accomplishments of Candidates successful in earning an Appointment.

A candidate needs a Nomination from some source unless selected for the Prep School.

It is very helpful to read the first chapter on Admissions in the Air Force Academy Catalog. The pie chart at the top of page 7 details the weighting of the whole candidate score. It also helpful to understand the difference between a direct admit to West Point(LOA=Letter of Assurance) and the Prep School(no nomination required but usually reserved for recruited athletes and others recruited to meet other goals of the academy) and an admission by earning an appointment by competing within one's nominating sources.

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Online_Cata...

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps10.htm

Q: Would running track give me an advantage getting in?

A: Participation in at least one athletic and non athletic extracurricular activity is expected. Around 90% of each class has earned a varsity athletic letter. Two thirds of each class have been a team captain.

Q: Is it a good school?

A: Generally considered to be among the elite colleges. Before the Ivy League athletic conference was formed in the 1950's, West Point and Annapolis were considered to be Ivy League.

Q: Is there a possibility I would have to fight in a war?

A: West Point produces Army officers, so of course there is a possibility of fighting in a war.

Q: Is it better than Air Force or Navy?

A: There are more academic majors offered and West Point graduates have earned more academic honors, around twice as many Rhodes scholars as Usna or Usafa, so I think it is fair to say that academically speaking West Point is considered to be somewhat better than Air Force or Navy.

http://www.dean.usma.edu/

http://www.dean.usma.edu/Scholarships/

Q: Is it true that if you go to West Point, they will pay the tuition for the college of your choice? (ex: Your at west point for 4 years and you want a Master's. Would they pay for me to get one at a different college)

A: Yes, this is true for Lieutenants commissioning through West Point or Rotc. Around 15% of West Point grads and 25% or Rotc commissioned Lieutenants go directly to graduate or professional school.

"To address the shortage in the quantity and quality of officers, the military has implemented a few notable financial and opportunity incentive programs for lieutenants and captains. For an exchange of three additional years of service, USMA and ROTC cadets receive the promise of graduate schooling, PCS station, or branch choice. Presently, 25% of ROTC and 15% of USMA cadets chose the graduate school option; besides improving continuance rates, it is hoped that this advanced civilian schooling will produce a better-educated, broader thinking officer corps."

http://kingsofwar.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/the-u-s...

Q: Is it really hard?

A: It depends on how one defines "hard." My impression is that the academics are less demanding than a highly selective public research university like Berkeley, UCLA or Michigan, but probably more demanding than certain extremely selective private research universities that have policies that are very forgiving such as only Pass/Fail grading freshman year, being allowed to drop a course till the day before the final and no record of having taken a course that one fails, or where the most common grade is A and over 90% of the class graduates with honors. There simply is not enough time in a day that can be devoted to study for it to be as highly demanding academically as a school like Berkeley or Ucla, and since these time demands are made on everyone, there is a more level playing field. If the professors all are well aware and made aware that Cadets only have a certain limited number of hours for course preparation, Professors adjust the course load accordingly and those who do not get with the program don't last very long. If living according to a regimented schedule is not something a guy wants to do, West Point could be very "hard."

Good Luck!

• ?

1.) You better have at least a 3.9 unweighted in the toughest classes

2.) grades, sports, leadership, community service

3.) hope you're the captain and have another sport or two

4.) very

5.) you will be deployed and have a very high probability of ending up in a combat zone

6.) no

7.) there are Army programs where they'd pay for your Masters and you give them another year per year

8.) one of the toughest schools in America

Learning to google "United States Military Academyt" would be a big help.;

The only cadets who can get into the service academies with lowered standards are minorites.

You have your work cut out for you.

http://aad.english.ucsb.edu/docs/feb1.1.html