Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Debt collector phone harassment?

I have had my new cell phone for 10 months, and two different debt collectors are calling for the previous owner of the number, I have repeatedly told them that this is no longer their number. They don’t seem to believe me and now they are sending text messages and leaving voice mails from their cell phones. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Favorite Answer

Get the names and address for both collection agencies and send them the following letter certified mail with return receipt.

Dear Debt Collector:

Pursuant to my rights under federal debt collection laws, I am requesting that you cease and desist communication with phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx.

You are hereby notified that if you do not comply with this request, I will immediately file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the [your state here] Attorney General’s office. Civil and criminal claims will be pursued.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Collection agencies are not allowed to:

•Call your office;

•Call your home before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.;

•Address you in an abusive manner;

•Call family or friends in an attempt to collect your debt;

•Harass you;

•Make false or misleading statements; or

•Add unauthorized charges.

If any of the above is happening to you, tell the collection agency to stop harassing you. If it continues, ask for its name and address and report it to the Better Business Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission (see below), or your state's attorney general's office. The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act also states that you can demand that the collection agency stop contacting you, except to tell you that collection efforts have ended or that the creditor or collection agency will sue you. However, you must put your request in writing.

Given that you are not even the person that they are trying to get ahold of, you should not have to go through this to stop their harrassment, but if they don't believe you you may have to place a complaint.

For more information on dealing with harassing debt collectors, consult this article:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/creditorha...

Good Luck!

Save the texts and voice mails you will need them down the road if you pursue a court case. Might want to tell them you are recording the conversation,as I'm sure they are.

Or try and get a new number.

• ?

Get their address the next time they call and send them a request to stop via certified mail. If they continue to call contact an attorney.

• haward

once you've caller identity, type the phone type into google and do a search for (use ###-###-#### format) you could oftentimes discover others complaining about a similar type and spot if all of us is filing a classification action. also opposite seem up would offer you with the call of the corporate doing the calling. Get their company type and phone to document grievance. ahead each and each of the information you assemble to the more effective company Bureau. also, i have replaced the conventional ringing sound even as someone calls my cellular telephone, (the sound the caller hears on their telephone) with the sound of a fax device attempting to connect. It right away disconnects any motor vehicle dialer and human callers carry close up in the present day. i have cautioned each and each of the human beings i favor to call me about the change and they understand to carry close on till I answer them. It worked like a charm and that i have not had any sales human beings, political calls, or incorrect numbers when you consider that. examine inclusive of your provider for ring-decrease back thoughts.