Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 10 years ago

Is there anyway to find if a horse carries HYPP through AQHA memberships?

I'm looking at a horse for sale and it great great great grandpa is Impressive. The ad doesn't state if the horse is or N/N N/H and I want to know if its possible through AQHA memberships to look for something like that. I have a membership I just want to know if you can do that.

Best Answer

The horse's HYPP status should be on it's registration papers. AQHA requires it.

There is only one way to know for sure, have the horse tested. I have am Impressive line baby, and even though I was told his parents were both N/N, I did not take anyone's word. There was not any information regarding his status on his registration. I've never known that information to be on the paperwork. HYPP is a horrible disease and incurable. When my boy was tested, the vet pulled a clump of hairs from his mane and the bulbs were used for the testing. He was N/N. Again, have your own test, or you could be in a risky situation.

Not sure... but AQHA needs to step up and refuse to register horses that test positive. HYPP could easily be wiped out. If you can't find out through AQHA I would request the owners have the test done and that they foot the bill.

ultimate wager is to start up with the beginning place sires of the AQH industry. King, Peppy, Leo, Joe Reed, %. Bueno, Joe Hancock, and 3 Bars are seen lots of the main influential, some in extra techniques than one. Hereditary Equine interior of sight Dermal Asthenia(HERDA), an continuously deadly genetic condition, has been traced to %. Bueno, and Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency(GBED) has been traced to King's line. Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis (HYPP), has been traced to staggering, a descendant of three Bars. it extremely is beneficial to contain that information while discussing the effect of those sires on the breed.

• charm

Possibly, but the horse's status should be listed on its papers, assuming it isn't a very old horse.