Does medicaid/medicare cover hormonal treatment and/or SRS for lower-class transsexuals?

I'm NOT trying to be funny at all; I'm quite curious. First of all, I'm glad I wasn't born transsexual because I can't even begin to imagine the pain they must go through until they start transitioning into their true gender. I'm struggling financially. Financial aid pays for my education... show more I'm NOT trying to be funny at all; I'm quite curious. First of all, I'm glad I wasn't born transsexual because I can't even begin to imagine the pain they must go through until they start transitioning into their true gender. I'm struggling financially. Financial aid pays for my education ENTIRELY, medicaid pays for my doctor visits and it also pays for my iron pills prescriptions(I'm anemic). Now, I would certainly not know what to do if I was born transsexual. Does medicare/medicaid cover treatment for poor transsexuals? Does the government recognize transsexualism as a birth condition that needs treatment as opposed to some cosmetic desire like breast implants and nose jobs?
7 answers 7