Was I wrong to touch the black woman's hair?

Well I just started a new job at a corner bakery. I'm so excited because I love baking at home anyways, so this way I'm always in the kitchen. Anyways, it was my first day at the job and I was getting trained by a girl named LaQuesha. LaQuesha is a very blunt and loud black female. I would say she's... show more Well I just started a new job at a corner bakery. I'm so excited because I love baking at home anyways, so this way I'm always in the kitchen. Anyways, it was my first day at the job and I was getting trained by a girl named LaQuesha. LaQuesha is a very blunt and loud black female. I would say she's about 22 or 23. Anyways I really was getting along with her. She was telling me things like "Make sure to smile at them customers girl" and "Don't be getting no attitude when boss is around. He don't like that." I would NEVER have thought of these tips if it hadn't been for LaQuesha's sound advice.

Anyways we were on a break, and eating bagels and baked bread - go figure- and I couldn't help but notice LaQuesha's sturdy braids. They were so nice and well put together. As LaQuesha bit into her bagel, I told her "I love her hair." She smiled and said "Thank you baby." I thought- well she's very sweet about it, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I just touched it to feel what it felt like on my fingers.

I said "LaQuesha, its so nice. How long did it take to braid?" As I asked this, I placed my right hand (which apparently still had creamchesse on it) firmly on the middle of her head, and felt the stiff like hair on my fingers. It felt pretty cool. But LaQuesha's face turned harsh fast: "What the **** you doin goofy?" My cheeks turned quite hot and red. I stammered "Erm, what do you mean LaQuesha?" But she stood up angry.

"You NEVER touch a black woman's hair, and you didn't wash your nasty-*** hands!"

"I'm sorry I didn't real-"

"It's cool. We should get back to training you on the register, with yo slow ***!" She giggled at this, but I could tell she was still peeved. After work I reported LaQuesha to the manager, who told me to not worry about it and that I was taking the whole scene way out of context. Was I wrong to touch her hair just because she's black? That seems a bit mundane to me. And as a white woman, let me tell you I always touch my white friends hair, even after a bagel with cream cheese! Thoughts?
Update: (sigh)

I am NOT making this up, good lord. I came here for advice, not get be ridiculed.