Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

What does one do, when one does not own a trailer?

For local, small, fun things.

When I get my horse... I want to go to the park and ride on the trails, A LOT. I want to do it at least once every two weeks... but that's probably not even likely. Because... I do not have a trailer. The park is about 15 minutes away from where I board, maybe 20. I could easily ride there, but it is way too dangerous. The roads are nothing but ginormous hills, and I can't go on the side of the road because of the thick brush. My mom thinks we would get hit by a car in no time lol.

My trainer has a trailer but she definitely doesn't have the time to run me to the park once a week or two, even if I paid her.

This park is not your regular everyday park. It's THE park. Look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meagan_kay/3778712638...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meagan_kay/4289548984...

There are 15,696 acres. It's gorgeous out there. And I'm only a few minutes away! I feel so privileged.

So how do you suppose I should plan on getting there LOL? I can't drive a trailer. I'd fail miserably... especially out in those hills. Do you really think it would be that bad to ride on the roads, even if I kept to the right and everything? The roads look like this (this isn't it, but the roads look like it):

http://www.hillyhundred.org/Photos/04hilly.jpg

http://www.hillyhundred.org/Photos/99hilly.jpg

Would it really be that bad if we took all the precautions and everything? I guess there ARE a lot of idiot drivers out there...

• SLA
    Favorite Answer

Would it be possible to go to a county commissioners meeting or talk to the road guys and see if it would be possible, in the name of safety, to hack a horse/bike/walking trail through that brush to access the park?

Start with a letter that points out how dangerous it is to ride ON the roads either horse, bike, or walking. But that's the only way to get there for a lot of people. If you can find a way to organize other people who would agree to help create the path and maintain it so it doesn't cost the county any extra money, then there's a good chance you could convince them to do it. Talk to a couple insurance agents and a lawyer or two and ask them what the risk to the county would be if someone was hit on the road while trying to get to the Park. Include that in your letter.

BUT make sure you have a cost effective answer to your complaint and include it in your letter. That means get several signatures at the bottom of people who would help create that path.

I've known several people who have been hit by cars. The rider usually survives, the horse rarely does.

• Ziggy

Your an experienced rider... If your new horse is ok on the road, I don't think you would have any problem.

I would observe the road (as you know it best) and pick which day has the least amount of traffic and which times of day are the quietest. If you ride on the same day, chances are the same people will be on the road and will get to know you are there and slow down.

With those hills you would have the fittest and best muscled horse around. LOL.

Towing a trailer is not that hard, just take it steady and use a lower gear on those hills. Also practice backing around the barn at home for a while, so if someone blocks you in, you can still get out ;-)

If riding I would be careful not to get distracted and be late heading home, as it would be a very different story in the low evening light. Police horses have those reflective tail wraps and leg boots, you can even get a vest.

In my experience you do get some idiots on the road, but I've not had many people deliberately do something to scare the horse ;-)

Perhaps you can ride one week and ask someone to go along with you in the trailer the next week. They might catch the bug and want to go out with you more ;-)

Source(s): 33 years riding/owner
  • Finley

Don't ride on the road.

You might be cautious and your horse might be great around cars....but you will find some idiot who will think it's funny to try and make your horse buck (by honking at you suddenly when you lease expect it or throwing something at you or your horse) also, drivers aren't always careful about who they share the road with and that's how riders and horses get hit or killed.

Is your life worth a trip to the park? Is your horse's life worth it? Because you'll be risking everything by taking the chance. Can you get hurt or killed? Yeah. Plenty of people do every year. Kids & adults alike.

What can you do? Find someone who's got a trailer and who's got some time to take you. Pay em for half the gas, because that's only fair. Why should anybody give you a ride for free?

If you can't find anyone who's trailering out, then forget about it. Either move your horse to another barn that's right up next to a park, or just forget it.

Or you can rent a trailer, but that means that you'll have to have a truck and the ball hitch, too. As for driving it, just drive slow and be careful, or find someone else to drive if you really think you're that bad of a driver. Or better yet, rent the trailer and find a place to practice driving it to be a good enough driver to do so yourself.

• wahoo

I have to agree with your mom on this one. Those roads were not built to allow horses or even bicycles a safe area. It only takes one driver one time to do the wrong thing and your horse can go stupid for a split second and you will end up who knows where. It does not look safe at all for a horse. There must be some back roads there that are accessible from where you keep your horse. If you talked to adjacent property owners that could provide you a path to another road, which could give you access to some other property that you could make a trail to the intended goal. In other words make a trail to the park. You may find that the trail taking you to the park is just as pretty and exciting as the trails in the park. Good luck with it, I know how you feel having that so close and yet out of reach.

Is there anyone else at your barn that might be interested in going? Maybe someone who does a lot of trail riding (unlike your trainer who has too many responsibilities at home)? If so, maybe you could tag along with them and pay for gas.

I sympathize; for my entire life my family has had a trailer and could go anywhere. Now that I'm boarding my horse, I'm trailer-less (my mom still has the trailer at home). My mom can swing by and pick my horse up for some things, but it's not convenient for all shows, so I've got to figure out who I can hitch a ride with ;).

I wouldn't ride on the road if it's hilly with thick brush on the sides--you don't have an escape in the event that your horse spooks, a car swerves, etc. Too many idiotic drivers, even if you're a good rider and your horse is safe. I've ridden on my road at home before, but only because it's a very rural road, you can see in both directions, and there's plenty of room on the side. You'd probably be okay, but it would definitely make me nervous.

I had the same issue as you....and to be honest it was a pain. What you COULD do is find a riding buddy that is close by (or boards the same place as you) and hitch a ride. That way you have company and a safe way to get to the trails. You could help pitch in with gas and everything that way you dont wear out your welcome. Another way, much more expensive, is to hire someone to haul. It doesnt have to be a professional hauler (though DO make sure that the trailer is safe) You can look on craigslist for example. In this economy many people have time on their hands and the incentive to earn a little extra cash.

Thirdly, (if you have a truck) you could just rent a horse trailer for a few days. This is pricey but typically not as pricey as paying someone to haul you.

Orrrrr you could just pinch your pennies for a few months and find a cheap deal and purchase your own horse trailer. Though this one might not be possible for you.

I wouldnt risk riding on the rodes. Its too dangerous if you dont have enough shoulder. If your horse spooked there would be no wiggle room. No its not a good idea at all. Best bet would be the trailer.

Hope I helped!

Your primary consideration has to be the horse. Not so much the moronic drivers as you can't control them. Is the horse prepared for this? Is the horse educated enough to handle the travel on the roads in spite of the traffic and associated perils? If not, don't even consider it. You and the horse could be seriously injured or lose your life. Precautions are not really where your thoughts should be, it is about the horse and you being prepared to be in this situation, being able to maneuver and handle it, and being safe so you can survive. Do you know how to approach a "scary object"? Do you understand that you should always have your horse facing what it is that produces the fear? Such things, in my mind, are elemental and second nature, but the general population is not aware of many basics with horses. First and foremost, always be safe. You could always rent or lease a trailer. Perhaps share the expense with a friend who would like to ride with you.

There aren't that many drunk drivers out during the time that you would be riding back and forth...always wear a yellow slicker or vest and hat that will show up quickly. If the sides of your road look like that one, there is plenty of room to ride on the dirt part, at least when you are close to the cars that are coming around the curves. If there are no fences on your road, then most of the 15 minutes could probably be ridden off the road and only get on the road when the bushes get really thick...then pick your time and spacing with the traffic. You can also get permission to post a yellow caution: HORSE CROSSING sign or something similar. Do you ever see others riding their horses there? Horses can walk up and down hills as long as they are not icy or wet. Your horse will have shoes on, right? I would think that for 15 minutes, you can listen for cars coming from behind get off the road. Cars coming from the other direction can be dealt with by holding our your arm, signaling for them to slow down (most will) and if they don't, again, just get off the road, even if you just have to stand there until the cars are past. Usually your horse is going to get used to the cars coming and your biggest headache is going to be from the ones coming from behind.

We go down the roads all the time- just get as far out of the way as possible when a car comes, and perhaps trot to speed up the time. Without a trailer or someone else's trailer to borrow, that's really your only option. Try to keep an eye on when the roads are the least busy- go then. Our property is split by a very busy highway, but you can still get across with a horse if you go at like 2 PM, when there isn't much traffic.

Holy. Cow. That. Park. Is. Amazing.

Well, like you said, it's WAY to dangerous to drive there because of stupid drunk drivers and idiots who can't even drive, or care. Well, you make is sound like you wouldn't plan on going to the trails alone so does the person you would be going with know how to drive a trailer? If so maybe since you board you could borrow someones trailer? I mean, it's a barn so SOMEONE has to have one, right? If anyone, i'm sure the owner does.

If you can't do that for some reason, I guess you could be careful and try it, but I wouldn't do it because I personally think it's too dangerous.

Sorry if this doesn't help you. lol I can't think of much to do!!