Judith
Judith asked in TravelGermanyBerlin · 1 decade ago

What are some fun and interesting things to do in Berlin?

We are a couple in our 50s who hope to spend about 5 full days in Berlin. What are some fun things to do in Berlin? We will not have a car, so need to rely on public transportation. What is the best way to get from the airport to downtown Berlin? Any hotel recommendations? How would you suggest to plan our days? We like concerts, museums, parks, shopping. Thanks!

Also, could you vote on this Tie-Breaker. It's an oldie, but goodie:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak5BY...

Why did Mrs. Cullen get so many thumbs down for the answer? It seemed like a good suggestion to me. I notice a lot of answers in the Berlin section get handsdown thumbs. Am I missing something?

Favorite Answer

Sadly, there are some children who have nothing better to do than vote down worthy answers in the Germany section. At least they seem to be taking a break from the often obscene or inflammatory responses they sometimes leave when they particularly have nothing to amuse themselves.

As for Berlin, it is a fabulous and fun city for visitors of all ages. Public transport is very convenient and efficient, including from the airport into town. I highly recommend the museums near Berlin Cathedral, which I also suggest you see. It is spectacular! A climb to the cupola is not strenuous and the view is wonderful. Be sure to visit the crypts below the church as well.

A wonderful hotel I once stayed in about 20 years ago was the Schloss-Hotel Gehrhus, which was a former palace. It is gorgeous and in a very nice residential neighborhood close to bus stops. I'm sure it was pricy, but a friend's dad was paying and he was a rich Texas lawyer (see, lawyers are good for something!). For shopping, the "KuDamm" is the place. This fashionable shopping street is close to the Zoo Station and the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, which you should see. That whole area is wonderful for shops and stores of all sizes and price ranges.

Stroll through the Tiergarten to experience some of Berlin's tortured history, including the Victory Column (Siegesaule) at one end (you can also climb it) and the Brandenburg Gate at the other. Along the way you'll see streetlamps still in service that Albert Speer designed for Hitler's remodeling of the city, as well as the massive Soviet victory monument that the Russians purposely built well into the British sector, claiming "confusion" at war's end. it is made out of stone from Hitler's chancellory.

if the lines aren't horrendous, do climb the dome of the Reichstag. The history plaques around its base are fascinating, and you can look through the glass floor panels to see the government in session. (Talk about "transparency" in government!)

After you pass through the Brandenburg gate, turn right on Voss Strasse and buy a picnic lunch at the supermarket on your left. Then take it back out to the Unter den Linden, sit on one of the many benches and people watch as you enjoy lunch on what was once one of Europe's most fashionable promenading streets.

Also, be sure to take a boat ride on the River Spree to see some of the city's highlights in a pleasant way.

I know this glowing recommendation of a fabulous, exciting, lively city will get multiple thumbs-down from the spoiled, witless, ignorant kiddies who prowl this section of Yahoo Answers. Ignore them, and have a fabulous time in wonderful Berlin!

Visit the Kit Kat Club

• Brian

Hi!

I'm from Berlin. Tell me a bit more about your interests (also poosible with e-mail via my profile). Perhaps I can suggest something.

For the public transport, use

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html

Don't worry about transportation. In general, Berlin transportation is good.

For tourist information, perhaps visit

http://www.berlin.de/international/index.en.php

Greetings, Kirby

P.S., concerning the thumbs down:

NEVER answer (especially when you are German) in the Germany section. You will get thumbs down everytime.

The best thing about Berlin is that most of the tourist places can be covered on foot. But if you wish to use the public transport, good choice. The public transport in Berlin consists of S Bahn, Underground, Tram and buses. The connectivity and frequency are brilliant. You should visit fragments of the Berlin Wall esp the East Side Gallery. If you are interested in shopping, go to Alexanderplatz. It truly is a shopper`s paradise. You can visit the Reichstag - German Parliament. But plan and go early, as the crowd outside is too much. If you are into automobiles, visit the Merc showroom. It is one of the biggest in Europe

Visit The Berlin Wall it has many pictures and Messages of Freedom.