Want to cross US border to Mexico?

I haven't been to Mexico since 2004, when u didn't need a passport. I know u need a passport to enter Mexico now. Well a couple of my friends are wanting to go for a night and hit up some bars. Is there a such thing as a 24 hour visa to get into Mexico?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Mexico isn't requiring a passport to enter, *BUT* the U.S. requires it (or an approved alternate ID document --- such as a "passport card") when you return.

There's no such thing as a 24-hour visa, but you do need to get a tourist permit (called the FMT) when you enter Mexico. If you'll be in Mexico for less than 7 days, it's free. If you'll be there longer, or are entering multiple times, you can get the FMT issued for up to 180 days. You get these at the immigration counter at the checkpoint when entering Mexico. If you enter by plane, the forms are handed to you by the airline staff and you fill them out before arriving (once you arrive, they're checked by the immigration officials, stamped, and you're on your way).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A passport and a visa are two totally different things. You do not need a visa to go to Mexico. U. S. law does require you to have a passport and there is no such thing as a "temporary passport." See 1st site to read the law and 2nd site for passport application info.

• 1 decade ago

You dont need a passport to enter mexico, but you will need one when you return to the states.

• 1 decade ago

You need the passport to get back into the USA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.