Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can I file a lawsuit against my 17 year old daughter for domestic abuse?

My 17 old daughter has had very bad behavior issues since about 4 years ago. She's started swearing in the house and always locks the door to her room. Whenever I ask her to do her homework, she slaps me in the face and makes me do her homework for her. Even my wife is scared. Can we file some sort of legal restraining order or something?

Favorite Answer

Where were her parents (you) when she was 4 years old. My child would only slap me or swear at me one time.. and they knew that at a very young age. While my youngest is over 30 years old, that still wouldn't happen and they wouldn't even think of it.

I am real close to a case like this and if you are a parent, there is help. Have you ever seen/cared for a child that was born a drug addict? From what you are saying this is a parent issue and a mild issue you need to deal with. Get her help.

• Diane

The only thing to do is to go to ask (demand) that your lawyer get a temporary visitation arrangement made. This can be done before the divorce is final. Then it is outlined and a matter of her defying the court if she doesn't allow you to see her. You can file a civil suit against her for emotional damages to you and your children, but really I don't think you would win. I would focus on going through the courts and getting things done the legal and appropriate way. I can tell you from experience that even with legal scheduled visits, police and no one else will really enforce it. They don't want to get involved in custodial issues. If you get to see her again, you have as much right as her mother to keep the child and not allow her visitation until the court makes a decision.

No you have to be 18 to get sued. Your actually the one that can get sued if your daughter assaults some one else. but you can get a protective order.Also you can have her arrested and when you go before the judge you can ask him to place her in a facility that can help her with her issues by court order. You really need to get a handle on this now because in my opinion its already too late. She is breaking the law & She can be charged as an adult in most states. I've seen alot of kids turn to lil babies when they go to jail. Let her see what her future looks like if she keeps this kind of behavoior up.

Source(s): COMMON SENCE

I don't see why not. A restraining order is not legal because she is only 17. I would talk with someone involved with law enforcement like a judge or police officer, or even the resource officer at her school..

Hope this helps.

• Di

oh my god call the police YESTERDAY!!you absolutely have grounds for domestic abuse and why on earth haven't you THROWN HER OUT!?!?you need to handle this before she turns 18 and decides to do this to a not so tolerant non-family member and winds up in prison!contrary to popular belief they will not throw her in jail,they will get her some much needed mental help.please do this now before it's out of your control.i hope this works out ok for you.l

• I think you need to fight fire with fire.