How do you keep the cat out of the baby's crib?

I am setting up my new nursery for my son, who is due in June. I have a cat who thinks that any comfortable spot is his bed. I am worried about the cat sleeping in the baby's crib once he arrives. Cat's paws are dirty and their hair can cause allergies so I don't want him in the baby room at all. I considered getting a tall gate, but Sylvester (the cat) can jump a 5 foot wall easily. I don't want to just keep the nursery door shut either, because there could always be a reason to keep it open.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

And getting rid of the cat is NOT an option. Neither is keeping him outside. I'm looking for help with the nursery, not the cat.

• Minnow
    Favorite Answer

I had the same problem... but since my education basically was dealing with training cats and dogs... I fixed it. :)

First, I don't know why people thumbsdowned the suggestion of a screen door. If you aren't in the room, a screen door allows fresh air, your ability to hear your baby isn't dulled, and the cat stays out. It's not a bad idea, and I've seen it work a LOT with folks who have stubborn cats or who can't take the time to train.

For our cats, we kept a screen over the crib when the baby wasn't in it. They sell these nettings that keep bugs out, and this can keep cats off it as well. We also kept a blanket over the entire crib mattress just in case the cat DID get on the crib's bed, you could take that off and the crib was clean for the baby.

Next we taught the cats to leave a room when told to. Basically, this was simple. You get meat-baby-food (less salt and not bad for cats, every cat I know will take it. If yours doesn't, try meat spread. Avoid tuna.) Then you basically give the yummy outside of the room at a designated spot (say a cat bed, or a cat-tree.) While there, say the word "tree" or "bed" or whatever you want to call it. You could make a certain noise, or blow a whistle, click your tongue, whatever. After they figure out that when you say that word/noise you give a treat in that spot, start taking them away from the spot and making the noise, then going and giving the treat. Cats usually pick this up really fast, and even when I was 8 we trained our cats to run to the bathroom where we would lock them for the night (they'd get out of the house otherwise and our neighbor killed our previous cats, so containing them at night was for their own safety.) Being able to tell the cat "scat" and have it run to a specific place really makes it easy to make sure the room is cat free.

There are inaudible deterrents, but I don't recommend them because I am not sure how safe they are around babies to be honest. But if you want to get high tech... there is the electrical scat mat you can leave in the crib when the baby is not in there. This will give a static charge when the cat makes contact with the mat (not super ouch and since it will deter when you're not there... MUCH better than a water bottle. Besides, you don't want the crib to get wet.) Third link.

I also like the SSSCat sprayer for those cats who are particularly stubborn. Set it up at the door-frame of the room and when the cat comes within a meter of the sprayer, it will send out a blast of harmless air, and scare them to run away. I didn't have to get to the point of using the electric mat or the spray can.

Do make sure your cat is vaccinated though. Just in case. Better safe than sorry. You can always look at softpaws as well if your cat seems inclined to scratch the baby. But really, I just taught the cats to stay out of the room my daughter uses, and we keep the door closed when she slept and used a baby monitor (with the activity level in the house, it kept her asleep better.)

Hope this helps. :)

I think once the baby is in the crib the cat will lose interest. But you can try shooing the cat / spraying the cat with water whenever you see it in there in the meantime if you are worried about it being in there when the baby isn't.

I personally would either close the door or just accept the cat is going to be in the crib sometimes. I think allergies are more often caused by too little exposure of things when kids are little.

• Lynn

I had to go to Babies R Us and buy a crib net. It is like a tent that pops up over the top of the crib and it zips to get the baby in and out. It worked great to. My cat tried several other times to get in after we put it on, but just couldn't do it. The tent will hold the weight of the cat if it tries to jump on top. It was pretty cool. Another good thing about the tent is that when the baby gets bigger, he/she won't be able to climb out of the crib.

We lined our daughter's bassinet with tin foil before she was born. My cat jumped in once and scared herself silly. She never tried again. I don't know how successful you'll be at keeping Sylvester out of the nursery all together, but that worked for keeping our cat out of the bassinet and later the crib. Honestly, if you allow the cat to be in the same room with the baby his curiosity about the baby will be less so you won't have to worry about him trying to get in your son's face all the time. Oh, and obviously you take the tinfoil out when baby is born.

Good luck!

I know others have already told you to get a crib tent, but I have one and I'm just going to add they are worth twice their weight in diamonds! I've never had a problem keeping any of our cats away from the cot, but we have a small very hyperactive dog that can and did jump into the cot before we got the tent. The crib tent was more than strong enough to repel her from getting into the cot.

You can also get crib tents in a variety of sizes, colour and patterns, my local baby shop has a MASSIVE range of them! The basic choices are blue, green, yellow, pink, white and with or without frills!

Get a Crib tent. A mesh canopy for the top of the crib. It will ensure that your kitty won't be able to jump in. Also, during awake time for baby, place aluminum foil on the mattress so when kitty jumps in the crib it will scare them plus they don't like the feel on their paws. Hopefully that will stop them from jumping in the crib!

• Danica

A crib tent is one answer. He won't be able to get in at all....

Another might be to put some crinkly paper in the crib before baby arrives. It will irritate him every time he jumps in and eventually, he will stop. My sister had great success with this!!

Good luck!

I suggest putting a blanket or sheet over the entrance. I know you said you wanted help with the nursery but I had a similar problem with my cat because she was jumping on the kitchen bench a lot. We sprayed her twice and she never jumps up! Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it by the crib. Every time Sylvester jumps into the crib squirt him and he should run away.

Source(s): My cat

you could maybe try and put something the cat wouldn't like to step on in the crib... possible velcro sheets or something with a weird texture. You could also try something orange smelling or mint for the time being. Our cat tried to jump in the crib while we were building it. She got in it twice and we took her out and put her outside the room. She never attempted after that.

We have a cat who is the same way. We leave the door shut. She can also jump a high fence, so that is our only option. Our baby is 6 months old, and so far she has not gotten in his room. Good luck!