Is Christianity more likely true or false?

I'm assuming you're at least somewhat skeptical rather than believing that Christianity is 100% definitely true.

Christianity being true would mean that the events of the Bible are true (e.g. Pharaoh's magicians (in Exodus) managed to turn water into blood), when you die you go to either Heaven or Hell in an afterlife (some include Purgatory--this is fine) where you remain conscious, etc.

So is this all true? Is Jesus Christ the son of the creator of our universe? Is Adam the first man and Eve the first woman? Did Adam live to be over 900 years old? Was there a Global Flood that covered ALL of the land on Earth in just 40 days and 40 nights? Etc....

Are all of these things that comprise a Christian's beliefs true, thus making Christianity true?

Is Christianity more like true or false?

Also, please state what your religious beliefs are briefly. Thank you.

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bible stories in general are largely derived from myths of neighbouring peoples.

The Elohim from the Genesis creation stories are the sons of El in the Canaanite pantheon. They were ruled by El Elyon (God Most High), and later by Hadad the rain god, who is generally the god referred to by the title Baal (Lord). In Genesis 14:18-22, Abram is blessed by Melchizedek, the Canaanite High Priest of El Elyon and king of Salem, and Abram accepts the god as his.

The enemy of the Elohim is Yam (the sea), a chaos monster slain by Baal. This might have been derived from the Sumerian creation epic Enuma Elish, in which the god Marduk battles the great dragon Tiamat (the waters of chaos, and mother of the gods) and divides her body to create the heaven and the earth. In Genesis 1, God's Spirit moves upon the face of the waters (verse 2) and then divides them (verses 6-7). Marduk hangs up his bow after his victory of Tiamat, much as God does in Genesis 9:13 after the Flood.

The Adam and Eve story was a myth that tried to explain how death, toil and other woes came into the world; and like the Greek Pandora myth, a woman is blamed (and by extension, in a patriarchal society, all women).

Stories of a great deluge occur widely in mythology throughout the world. The biblical story of Noah is a version of a flood myth that originated in Mesopotamia and was familiar throughout the ancient Near East from the time of the Sumerians (around 2500-2000 BCE). All the known versions of this myth have the same basic outline: a deity or deities send a deluge to destroy the world, but one righteous man is fore-warned of the disaster and builds a ship in which he and his family survive the flood. After the flood has subsided, the world continues to exist and is repopulated.

Pharoah's magicians were probably the equivalent of priests, and their function in the story is to show that the god of Moses and Aaron was more powerful than their gods.

The gospels portray Jesus in various ways: Compassionate (healing ministry - one of many "healers" at the time), angry and aggressive (calling Pharisees "Hypocrites" etc, attacking the tradesmen in the temple, and so on), and even initially uncompassionate (the Syro-Phoenician woman, for example, when he initially refused to heal her daughter as they were Gentiles - "dogs" - until she begged for the "scraps"). So if Jesus was a real person, he doesn't seem perfect, but complex like others. But I kind of think the Jesus of the gospels was probably a legend in who were assimilated proverbs and morals of a sect and tradition, and maybe attributes of several leaders of the sect.

And as to your last sub-question, I realised in mid-teenage - about 40 years ago - that faith was based upon nothing but itself, that science explained nature satisfactorily without needing supernatural beings, and that religious beliefs were no different to those of ancient beliefs in gods and goddesses. Up until then I was a devout, practising Catholic. For short-hand purposes, I suppose believers would label me Atheist.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

False...But the NT has a few verses that were taken from other beliefs/myths the Greeks were aware of that aren't bad...like 'Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself'.

A lot of the OT is pretty repulsive. though and some of it can be related to other Sumerian and/or Babylonian myths.

Edit: Thundercat, so, since Hinduism is at least as old, if not older and the Egyptian religion was around for 3,000 years. that would make them true, also (using your 'reasoning')

Edit: Cihylu, the DaVinci Code is also based on some historical events. The Harry Potter series contains references to places that actually exist. That doesn't make them true any more than a bunch of desert nomads writing their interpretation of events makes the Bible true.

Also, the Bible is contradictory...their are plenty of websites that will list them for you.

Edit: Arthvader, 'By which or whose standards?'

Um, reality? Do you really think it's realistic to believe that all life came from an individual with masculine qualities? Or that this individual created beings he very well knew were going to upset him time and again?

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

"I'm assuming you're at least somewhat skeptical rather than believing that Greek Polytheism is 100% definitely true.

Greek Polytheism being true would mean that the events of the myths are true (e.g. Hercules and the twelve labors), when you die you go to either Mount Olympus or the Underworld in an afterlife.

So is this all true? Is Zeus the son of the creator of our universe? Was Odysseus really the hero of the Trojan War? Did Hercules really defeat Cerberus?

Are all of these things that comprise a Greek polytheist's beliefs true, thus making Greek polytheism true?"

Is Greek polytheism more likely true or false?

Source(s): The power of atheism.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good questions, and if you're really interested, try "Bible Myths and their Parallels to Other Religions by Thomas Doane.

I warn you, not easy reading.....

Also, there were Gospels left out of the Christian Bible.... either they were just too off the wall, or showed Jesus in an unflattering light...Gospel according to Thomas, and Mary (Magdalene). You can likely find these on line.

Some of these stories did remain in the "holy book" collections and are still part of the bible used in Ethiopia....stories that most of us have never heard.

You can as well, get, likely on line the Book of Enoch and Book of Jubilees, part of the Hebrew tradition that never made it into the Bible. Do some research to find out what the writings, folk lore and fairy tales of the Hebrews.

"All true?" Of course not. This all came from a group of stone age starving goatherders. When you have no science, you rely of stories.

Purgatory is a Roman Catholic ---sometime after 300 CE. invention, never was in any Hebrew writings. There was no global flood, but every culture has a flood story. Floods are life altering... people die, your parents, your children, your family. And ancient cultures marked those with stories of how things were saved. When you read Noah, some scientists calculated the measurements of the Ark, and ended up with it being not even large enough to contain 2 each of this planet's most successful insect....beetles.

Christianity isn't "true" or "not true".... it is a religion. And as such, belief in such things as heaven, hell, miracles, raising from the dead, etc., are simply contrary to experience.

However, remember where it came from......... a horrid place to live, food very precious, your children died very young, so did you, and tragedy was everywhere. These stories gave them some security.

Source(s): Grad courses in Bible, Comparative Religion, Christian Ethics, University of Chicago's Divinity School
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, I'm a Christian so I believe the Bible is true. You can do a lot of research on the prophesies in the Bible & their fulfillment in history & the descriptions of the universe & the confirmation of science to what the Bible says.

Remember that we believe that Jesus Christ (God in flesh) is the Creator of the universe, so with Him all things are possible.

Adrian Rogers once said, "If you can get past Genesis 1:1 you won't have any difficulty with miracles."

• 1 decade ago

Out of many religions with differing ideas, Christianity is on that is actually accurate to some degree. The Bible is historically accurate and coincides with dates of other events. But I'm not saying that everything inside including the miracles have been proven though, just saying that some stuff is accurate because it's been proven. Also, it's not contradicting in itself. Can you imagine so many writers from different times compiling a book that does not contradict itself? The Bible also does try to give evidence, it puts down the lineage of people many times.

Source(s): I am Christian.
  • 1 decade ago

Its true. If you are going to believe in a God of truth, a God of love, and order, and He places a grounding of faith in your heart which actually causes you to know Him. And knowing Him is something that only true believers can obtain. If one of the attributes of God is purity in truth, why would He inspire all of the people who wrote the bible through of coarse of thousands of years to write non truth or half truth. A half truth is a whole lie. Why follow God if you don't believe His word. If you read in the bible about the flood, you will find that it not only rained for forty days and forty nights, but it states that the fountains of the deep were also opened up and filled the earth.

• 1 decade ago

I believe that Christianity is Truth based on historical facts because of the dynamic and vital life of the Church over a period of 2,000 years. I do not believe that human hands and minds and institutional processes can keep anything going that long and give hope and vibrancy that the faith gives to so many. Only something inspired, in this case the Holy Spirit, can do that. I believe in the resurrection because so many saw the risen Christ, so many wrote about it at different locations, at different times, people who couldn't have read each other's writings. I believe in the resurrection of the dead because I see resurrections all the time in everyday life: people whose spirits seemed absolutely dead for years, finding themselves alive and excited again. Marriages that seemed dead springing to new life. Bitter angry people mellowing and learning at advanced ages how to love and be loved. Longtime victims of clinical depression finding new spirit and joy in life. All these "resurrections" tell me there is a God, a God of life, and a God who can bring the dead to life.

• 1 decade ago

I am one of Christ's faithful witnesses. I don't travel the wider path. I'm very happy to proclaim my faith in Christ. If others choose not to believe then that is their free will and it is between them and the Lord.

• 1 decade ago

Whoever thinks that Christianity is false is flat out wrong. It is 100% true. We know this because God wrote our faith in Him in our hearts and gave us the Bible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.