Who perpetrated the greatest act of terrorism in history?

When I heard the question, I thought about it for three seconds, and then answered, "Osama Bin Laden and his terror organization Al Qaeida." But guess what? I was wrong. And nope, it wasn't Saddam Hussein, either. It's the US government. And here's why: Atomic bombings of Hiroshima... show more When I heard the question, I thought about it for three seconds, and then answered, "Osama Bin Laden and his terror organization Al Qaeida."

But guess what? I was wrong. And nope, it wasn't Saddam Hussein, either.

It's the US government. And here's why:

Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

"Combatant and noncombatant men and women, old and young, are massacred without discrimination by the atmospheric pressure of the explosion, as well as by the radiating heat which result therefrom. Consequently there is involved a bomb having the most cruel effects humanity has ever known. . . . The bombs in question, used by the Americans, by their cruelty and by their terrorizing effects, surpass by far gas or any other arm, the use of which is prohibited. Japanese protests against U.S. desecration of international principles of war paired the use of the atomic bomb with the earlier firebombing, which massacred old people, women and children, destroying and burning down Shinto and Buddhist temples, schools, hospitals, living quarters, etc. . . . They now use this new bomb, having an uncontrollable and cruel effect much greater than any other arms or projectiles ever used to date. This constitutes a new crime against humanity and civilization."

Especially because:

"The use of the atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons... The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children." Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy, Chief of Staff to President Truman

And furthermore: What the US government did to Chile, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Nicaragua, etc. etc. (Wiki may not be the most reliable source, but 99% of what's in the article is pretty accurate. I checked the sources.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...

Forget Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and North Korea, the US government (though not its citizens) is the greatest terror mankind has ever known.
Update: Around a QUARTER OF A MILLION Japanese men, women, and children--most of them civilians--were slaughtered by the Americans, so the US government could "make a point" to the Soviets. (Beginning of the Cold War.)
Update 2: Republicrats wake up: Yes, I remember. But the Japanese attacked military institutions, which is of course permissible in war. But it's NOT permissible to kill hundreds of thousands of INNOCENT CIVILIANS, just for effect. And certainly not using ATOMIC BOMBS.
Update 3: Rounder: It WAS politically motivated, and the US government DID kill many hundreds of thousands of innocent lives. Just like what the Al Qaeida are up to today.
Update 4: Loving your country doesn't mean LYING for your country, as some people apparently think. I love my country the USA, but history is history, and I don't try to find excuses for killing 250,000 INNOCENT lives. That's not war, that's all-out terrorism. If it's not, then that word has no meaning.