mamabear asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know of a Redbone being trained as a service dog?

I would like to train a service dog. I have a 12 week old Redbone puppy who is a joy to be around. I've never seen or heard of a Redbone service dog and was curious if others have.

Favorite Answer

Any breed of dog can make a good service dog, but some breeds work out better than others. Another answerer mentioned "akita". Akitas generally do not make good service dogs because of their high prey drive. A service dog should have an outstanding temperament (as determined by a professional), be highly obedience trained, and should not be fearful or new situations or people. A service dog "plays well with others" if you want to put it that way. A high prey drive is a no-no.

If you want to train the dog you have to be a service dog, you should consult with a professional trainer who has experience training service dogs, unless of course you have experience working in advanced dog training yourself.

You must be disabled to have a service dog, so you should check with your doctors to make sure you meet the legal definition of "disabled" before you start doing anything.

.

Are you disabled and intend to train this pup for yourself? Do you intend to train him for another family member or friend? Or do you intend to train him as a private trainer for sale or donation?

Have you evaluated the temperament of the parents and any older siblings? Have you worked with hounds before? Depending on what service dog work you plan to train for, a Redbone Hound may or may not be suitable. Many hounds may be well suited for temperament, but not necessarily for the service dog task/s you are looking for.

If you want to train an SD (service dog) and don't have experience in advanced dog training, you should seek a professional. If you do have experience you should still attend ob classes to proof the training, such as getting experience working around other dogs and stress. And if you are a private trainer, you should be experienced enough to not need to ask such a question.

If you wish to become an SD trainer, seek out programs where you can either volunteer or participate in an internship. For more info on SDs, programs, and SD related legislation; check out servicedogcentral.org

I have seen a Redbone Hound as a TD (therapy dog) before. This is a dog that goes to hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and other institutions by invitation to cheer people up.

Source(s): I have been training guide dogs since 1969 (beginning with The Seeing Eye) and other types of service dogs since 1980. I am a private service dog trainer.

No I haven't. But if he's got a great temperament and if you can train him to do specific tasks then I say go for it! I'm going to be training an Akita to be my service dog in the near future.