Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Your favorite movie? I'm looking for some old movies (1930's-1940's) to enjoy...?

I figured if anyone could recommend me some decent classics, who better than people who may have grown up watching these types of movies? I'm looking for some decent movies from the '30's or the 40's (or even the early '50's) to enjoy, something beyond "Gone With the Wind"/"Citizen Kane"/Casablanca".

I'd especially like to watch something with Bette Davis, Jean Harlow or Clark Gable but I'm open to anything from that are.

Can anyone recommend two or three of these movies and why they're enjoyable without giving away too much of the plot?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer, and 10 points to the best suggestions. :)

**should say "...anything from that era.".

Favorite Answer

My Man Godfrey(Carole Lombard and William Powell)

Red Dust, China Seas, and Wife vs Secretary(Gable and Harlow)

Bombshell(Harlow)

Mutiny on the Bounty, It Happened One Night(Gable)

Double Indemnity(Stanwyck)

Mildred Pierce, Humoresque, A Woman's Face(Joan Crawford)

All This and Heaven Too, The Little Foxes, Mr Skeffington, Jezebel(Bette Davis)

Showboat(1951 version with Ava Gardner)

Camille, Queen Christina, Ninotchka(Garbo)

Morocco, Shanghai Express, The Blue Angel(Dietrich)

All of these movies are well written, acted, and directed. The stars were at their best and had great charisma and chemistry with each other.

My favorites (until someone else suggests some I completely forgot about) are An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, The Enchanted Cottage with Robert Young, most of the films Audrey Hepburn made, most of the Hitchcock movies, The Day the Earth Stood Still with Michael Rennie, Magnificent 7, Gigot, Rickshaw Man, West Side Story, Bridge on the River Qwai, Great Escape, Old Man and the Sea, Zorba the Greek, Now Voyager, Rebecca, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Man for all Seasons... (not 30/40/50s but still good).

• DeeJay

Johnny Belinda is the earliest very good move - I was in 8th or 9th grade.

Johnny Belinda - Jane Wyman - Lew Ayres - 1948

Love Story - Ryan O’Neal Ali Macgraw

The Note Book

Notting Hill - Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant

Pretty Woman - Julia Roberts, Richard Gere

To Kill A mocking Bird - Gregory Peck

Bridges of Madison County - Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep

Breakfast at Tiffany’s - Audry Hepburn

Doctor Zhivago - Julie Cristy, Omar Sharif

12 Angry Men - E. G. Marshal, Lee J. Cobb, Jack Clugman

The Quiet Man - John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara

Picnic - William Holden, Kim Novak

All are excelent movies. I tried to pick some that are not usually mentioned.

DeeJay.

It Happened One Night~Clark Gable

Some Like it Hot~Tony Curtis

Arsenic and Old Lace~Cary Grant

Psycho~Anthony Perkins (1960)

Now Voyager~Bette Davis

Giant~James Dean

A Place in the Sun~Elizabeth Taylor

Suddenly Last Summer~Elizabeth Taylor

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof~Elizabeth Taylor

You might enjoy Veronica Lake movies:

Sullivan's Travels - 1942 - with Joel McCrea

This Gun For Hire - 1942 - with Alan Ladd

or

Bette Davis:

All This And Heaven, Too - 1940

Now Voyager - Paul Henreid and Claude Rains 1942

Gene Tierney also starred in some what I think are classic movies from that era: Leave Her To Heaven with Cornell Wilde and Jeanne Crain and Dragonwyck with Vincent Price.

It would take too much space to describe plots, but with some of these very famous actors a person could find at least one or two of these movies enjoyable.

You got a very detailed list of some of the great movies to watch. As I read through them, I was reminded about an old favorite of mine, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. If you tire of watching TV, some of these movies are good books too and make a gloomy evening a real page turner. I can still cry watching the Ghost and Mrs. Muir, be sure to put this on your list. I like the channel on tv that gives background information about the stars or producer/directors.

Freaks (1932)

It's a cult classic and has a fascinating story behind it.

Could have been the most famous horror movie of all time but sadly the studio decided to delete some of the end scenes, and replaced it with a more happy ending to please the audiences at the time.

The movie was a complete disaster on it's initial release and the studios (MGM) gave away the copyright and pretended it never happened.

In later years it's been unearthed and celebrated as one of the most unique movies ever made.

The movie is available on-line for free, and I think You Tube has a documentary posted on it about the film, but I recommend you watch that after the movie.

Wiki -

Freaks is a 1932 American horror film about sideshow performers, directed and produced by Tod Browning and released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, with a cast mostly composed of actual carnival performers. The film was based on Tod Robbins' short story "Spurs". Director Browning took the exceptional step of casting real people with deformities as the eponymous sideshow "freaks," rather than using costumes and makeup.

Some favorite actresses were Ann Harding, Kay Francis, Linda Darnell, Ingrid Bergman.

Some actors I liked were Ray Milland, Victor Mature, Walter Huston, Humphrey Bogart.

Movies:

San Francisco, 1936

The Third Man, 1947

Black Orpheus, 1959

I liked Jeanette MacDonald movies and Busby Berkeley musicals.

Here are a few of my all time favorite movies that came out in the 1940's:

The Egg & I....Claudette Colbert/ Fred McMurray/Ma & Pa Kettle

Penny Serenade....Irene Dunne/Cary Grant/ Eva Lee Kuney/Edgar Buchanan

The Enchanted Cottage....Robert Young/Dorothy McGuire/Mildred Natwick

I Remember Mama....Irene Dunne/Barbara Bel Geddes/Phillip Dorn

The Ghost & Mrs/ Muir....Gene Tierney/Rex Harrison

The Bishop's Wife....Cary Grant/Loretta Young/David Niven

Margie....Jeanne Crain/Alan Young

Little Women....June Allyson/Janet Leigh/Peter Lawford/Elizabeth Taylor/Margaret O'Brian

Mr. Belvedere Goes To College....Clifton Webb/Shirley Temple/Alan Young

It's 1959 but -30- with Jack Webb was good.

The D.I. with Jack Webb was good.

Both of these were typical Webb postings. A lot of overacting and real no nonsense characters. -30- is about a newspaper. I think it all takes place in one night as they try to put out a daily paper. The D.I. is the story of a Marine Drill Instructor. It follows one of Webb's recruits through basic training.

Sorry, I just don't care that much for the real oldies. I do like black and white though. Lots of good stuff in that category.