Why do my lights in my house dim when I use the Microwave or dryer?

I dont run a lot electricity. It seems that if I run something like the microwave any lights that are on dim. Is something wrong here? I dont see why my house wouldn't have enough power.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

    You are overloading the circuit the appliance is on. The dryer should be on a separate circuit and so should the microwave.

  • 10 years ago

    The lights that are on the same circuit as your microwave may dim because the amps necessary to run the microwave cause a drain on the existing circuit.

    Not knowing anythings else, I would bet that your microwave uses alot of power. It's probably an older model that works rather good!

  • 10 years ago

    Go to your main breaker and look on the breaker. It will tell you what amp it is. Older homes had only 60 amps (1960's) As we now are in the year 2000 + and some Appliances draw more amps IE microwave. you will get a slight drop in voltage when they start up. this will cause your lights to dim. I have a 60 amp service in my house and have the same problem. I know I need to upgrade my house, but haven't had the extra money.

  • 10 years ago

    Most likely because you are pulling too much current from one "line" (circuit). They are generally rated for 15 or 20 amps, and a microwave can draw almost 15 amps by itself. Too much more and the circuit breaker would pop. It's also possible that the service to your home isn't as strong as it could/should be- for instance, newer homes generally get a 200 amp service in my area, but when mine was built it was only fed with 100 amp. my sister's apartment was only set up with (I think) 50 am service. Is it possible to have a free or low cost energy audit performed by your electric company?

    Source(s): I'm just smart
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    It is probably no problem if it only happens for a second.

    Think of it like when you turn on a water faucet when other water is running.

    For just a second the pressure drops. Then it equalizes.

    If it flickers then you may need to call an electrician.

    Source(s): Sparky
  • 10 years ago

    It is possible that there is a problem at your service. Sometimes after years of use, the connections in your panel loosen. This happens when the terminals heat and cool down. I have seen neutral connections loosen and cause the same problems.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.