Who will make it out of the Group of Death?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/busted_racquet/po...

So when the draw came out, and I saw Serena and Venus were on top, and Svetlana and Elena were on the bottom I was so happy. But soon I found out there was nothing to be excited about. One section contains Elena Dementieva, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Aravane Rezai, and Aussie favorite Jelena Dokic. There are also consistent players like Pennetta, Razzano, and Petrova that can make an upset. I'm predicting a Dementieva / Clijsters quarterfinal! I hope Elena can win, she had a nice win over Serena, who mind you, NOBODY is acknowledging this tournament (it must be weird for her)..

Who will advance?

How perfect..Yanina Wickmayer who has qualified for the Aussie Open, is in this section!

Favorite Answer

Contrary to Tennis Lover, Justine Henin isn't as good in Melbourne as she is in Flushing Meadows. Besides, she is playing veteran Elena Dementieva, world no.5, who is ravenous to get that first Grand Slam title. And she is coming in with a huge confidence after blowing Serena. Dementieva has won an Olympic medal (which i think is bigger than a Slam, but thats just me). I think Henin will fall to Dementieva in 3 sets.

Svetlana Kuznetsova seems to have it pretty easy until Kim Clijsters.

Kim Clijsters may have a challenge in Petrova, but I doubt it.

I'm looking at Ekaterina Makarova to upset Virginie Razzano but she will get swamped by Flavia Pennetta. DONT FORGET! though that Yanina Wickmayer may take the Qualifier position in that draw lol, if that's the case then Wickmayer will go to the 4th round instead of Flavia.

So these are my picks for the 4th round:

(5) Elena Dementieva vs Flavia Pennetta (12) or Yanina Wickmayer (Q)

(3) Svetlana Kuznetsova vs (15) Kim Clijsters.

I think Elena Dementieva will make it through in straight sets: 6-4 6-4 regardless of opponent.

Svetlana Kuznetsova will have an extremely tough match up however. But, Clijsters' run has to end some time and if someone ends it, it will be the reigning Roland Garros Champion Svetlana Kuznetsova in a classic 7-6 5-7 7-5 midnight thriller! (lol lets hope so!)

Then we got (5) Elena Dementieva vs (3) Svetlana Kuznetsova...

This is gonna be a really tough match, but with Dementieva's incredible shape (and fitness-haha i hope you caught my pun) she will pull through in a 6-4 4-6 6-2 win over Kuznetsova.

(5) Elena Dementieva will therefore go to the finals to defeat (and avenge her loss at Wimbledon) (1) Serena Williams 7-6 6-4

Yay!

I agree Dementieva needs to win. She is soooo talented and with her serve improving she can do it i think. But at the same time, i want Dokic to do well.. urgh! Gheez Section 5 is CRAAZY. Dementieva, Henin, Dokic, Pennetta, Wickmayer, Chakvetadze, Kleybanova. Damn. Well there goes Dokic's points.

I'm guessing Dokic will retire after her loss in the Aus Open. She will lose a lot of points which will put her down in the 100's again and then she won't play well again for the rest of the year so i do think she will just retire which is sad because when she's good, she's reaaalllly good. At brisbane in the second set she ran Ivanovic over. If she played that well every single time she would have a shot but she can't so.

Wow, group of death indeed. That is a loaded section of the draw. I also think it will be a Dementieva/Clijsters quarterfinal. In the round of 16 I think it will be Dementieva vs. Pennetta and Clijsters vs. Kuznetsova. Henin was unlucky to have someone like Dementieva in the 2nd round and get injured just before the Australian Open. But being so close to beating Clijsters shows you that she can get back to beating the top players again very quickly.

Group G for sure. The way I decide who I think the Group of Death is to see each group through the eyes of it's weakest team. Group A's weakest team is probably South Africa or Uraguay, but they still have a good chance to make it to the next round, so this group will be very exciting, but not the group of death Group G's weakest team is North Korea, and holy lord it will be a miracle if they can make it past Ivory Coast, Portugal, or Brazil. The reason I choose Group G as Group of Death is because lets pretend Brazil and France traded spots. Group A would be no problem at all for Brazil and it would make this group look average considering theres one team that dominates all but the rest look average (just like Spain and Netherlands group), but Group G is still made up of very tough teams nonetheless if it were made up of France, Portugal, Ivory Coast, and North Korea, plus being unpredictable. With the way the groups are right now, Group A can go to anyone since these teams are at about the same level: not amazing, but not the worst. Group G has Brazil, who will be hard for any team to beat, and it'll be a battle between the 2 other tough teams, Portugal and Ivory Coast, for 2nd place. Group A is more exciting, but Group G is the hardest to make it to the next stage.

Okay so in a more serious answer, I think the most important match is the Justine Henin vs. Elena Dementieva match, if Justine makes it through then chances are that Svetlana stands absolutely no chance of making it through if Justine can make it that far considering their head to head. If Elena can win her match though then I think she is capable of beating Kim or Svetlana. I guess I was a little wrong about Rezai, her form from the end of last year seems to have pulled over because she was really impressive against Serena, and she isn't completely ugly like some of these girls! Flavia probably won't make it past Yanina Wickmayer. So if Elena wins her match against Justine then she won't face much resistance unless she plays Kim (which would be a super interesting match) and I'm not sure who would win that match, but I want Elena to win super badly so I'll pick her. I'm thinking that Kim will be able to beat Svetlana considering she beat her in her first or second tournament back and I think she's playing better even now then she was then. Petrova won't be that much of a hassle, she loses to all of the comeback queens. Then if Justine wins her match against Elena then I think Kim will make it through this group. Although Wickmayer is certainly a threat for this group (but I still don't think she'll make it out of there alive...). Who knows if Jelena Dokic can replicate her form from last year though in which case this thing becomes even more dangerous. Looks like there will be a plethora of interesting matches to watch in this group though, hopefully they can give us some nice tennis!

i think we all know who will make it out of the group of death.. and that will be Justine henin.. she made the finals in brishbane... and she lost very narrowly to kim Clisjters.. so she will figure out how to beat clijsters and want to get even with her this time...

and henin will take down anyone she plays.... she can do it... if its not henin then its going to be elena demeteva... if demeteva makes it past justine then demeteva will win the whole event..

i say either henin or demeteva...

poor elena :(. hope she can play some gud tennis nd win the aussie open