Happy Friday R&P, Is clay really a good material to build a table from? (#33)?
Well, here's the top 101, mix tape rules song of the day. Mix tape rules simply means that I only allowed myself one song by each act. I hope you all enjoy it.
First off, here is the entire list to date:
101. the Violent Femmes - Add It Up
100. Unkle - Rabbit In Your Headlights
99. the Tyde - Henry VIII
98. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Runnin Down a Dream
97. They Might Be Giants - Road Movie to Berlin
96. the Stranglers - Golden Brown
95. the Vogues - 5 O'Clock World
94. Jethro Tull - New Day Yesterday
93. fIREHOSE - Anti-Masogyny Maneuver
92. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Is This Love?
91. Drive Like Jehu - Here Come Rome Plows
90. Bob Dylan - Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again
89. Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
88. Yo La Tengo - Stockholm Syndrome
87. Rocket From the Crypt - Killy Kill
86. Band f Horses - Wicked Gil
85. the Monkees - Randy Scouse Git
84. Echo and the Bunnymen - Do It Clean
83. the Starlight Mints - Black Cat
82. Devo - Gut Feeling
81. the Who - the Kids are Alright
80. the Carrie Nations - Find It
79. Andrew Bird - Imitosis
78. Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
77. Portishead - Cowboys
76. Tom Brosseau - Here Come the Water Now
75. Mos Def - Sex, Love and Money
74. the Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin
73. the Specials - Little B*tch
72. PJ Harvey - Me-Jane
71. R.E.M. - Welcome to the Occupation
70. Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made of Sand
69. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
68. Bruce Springsteen - Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street
67. Jason Loewenstein - NYC III
66. the Breeders - Only in 3's
65. Okkervil River - It Ends With A Fall
64. the Zombies - Time of the Season
63. Weezer - Tired of Sex
62. The Spires - Wild Death
61. The Mars Volta - The Widow
60. Deerhoof - This Magnifcent Bird Will Rise
59. Robert Pollard - Make Use
58. Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless
57. Warren Zevon - Desperados Under the Eaves
56. Modest Mouse - Interstate 8
55. Bruce Hornsby and the Range - The Way It Is
54. Fionn Regan - the Underwood Typewriter
53. Morrissey - Alsatian Cousin
52. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
51. Jane's Addiction - Three Days
50. Blur - Trimm Trabb
49. Franklin For Short - Like A Feather
48. David Bowie - It Ain't Easy
47. The Old 97's - Streets of Where I'm From
46. Paul McCartney - Too Many People
45. Delta Spirit - Parade
44. Polvo - Thermal Treasure
43. Fuazi - Place Position
42. Beck - Guess I'm Doing Fine
41. Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun
40. Brian Wilson - Surf's Up
39. Aimee Mann - It's Not
38. The Silver Jews - The Wild Kindness
37. Billy Joel - Laura
36. Sebadoh - Homemade
35. Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots
34. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
For number 33 I went with a tune from indie rock legends Guided By Voices. Not a ton to say. Just cool, catchy, nice and simple.
Guided By Voices - Bulldog Skin
So what did you think of this one? Got a favorite Guided By Voices song?
What's your favorite song from the countdown to date?
Thanks a lot everybody. I hope the week has been great and heading into a great weekend.
Thanks Aaron. I'll take a look at your question.
Have a good one.
Thanks a lot. I'm glad you liked the choice.
I actually was tipped off about In Prism by a friend of mine from here and picked it up pretty quickly after it came out. I dig it a lot. I think a slight production upgrade suits them nicely. They're a really cool band. Very unique and interesting. It's a shame that they are so far below the radar in general. I guess that's the price of being quirky (although it's a great payoff for people like us who love that).
I love Beggar's Bowl. One of my favorite tracks of the year.
Thanks a lot. Have a good one.
Happy Friday. I'm glad you dig the choice. I know what you mean. They've just got a TON of records. I don't have them all either. Truth be told, I don't think I ever will complete the collection, as much as I like them. I want to say I have 6 of their records, and they're all good, but it's just too much to buy and there are so many things to buy.
I just listened to that Andrew Bird tune a little earlier. I think it's going on a sampler for a friend of my wife's that wants to expand his horizons. Great tune.
Thanks a lot CR. Have a great weekend.
I apreciate that a lot. I've got to say though, Radio and Gibb probably deserve it more. I'll gratefully take the praise though. Thanks a lot man.
Hey, I hope you check back. I was talking to Franklin For Short's drummer the other night at a show and it looks like they're hitting Boston as part of a some shows they're playing to support the Kings of Convenience. I remember that you really liked that one...
and I think you're from near there so I thought I would just throw that out there in case you were interested. They're really great live. I'm actually pretty excited. Going to see them in a couple of weeks.
Anyways. Thanks man. Have a good one.
Thanks man. Everywhere With Helicopter was very much a finalist to get the GBV nod. I like Glad Girls a lot too.
Nice choices by the way (I know that there shouldn't be any "bad choices in my eyes as they all come from my list, but I like yours).
You may want to give Polvo a closer look. Maybe pass on Today's Active Lifestyles if you weren't into Thermal Treasure, but the new record is definitely cool, and Celebrate The New Dark Age is a very good record as well. May be worth the time. Like we've talked about before though, there is just a whole lot of things to check out and only so much time.
Have a great weekend man.
- Cold RosesLv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
I still need to pick up more GBV albums. This was a great song I hadn't heard before. I own 3 albums, but trying to collect them all is costly. Wish I saw them live.
One thing I know is, no matter what album it is, Pollard is bound to impress you with his catchy rock tunes. Dude wrote a ton. Pretty cool video too. I normally don't like them, but it was cute.
My favorite GBV song is "Hold On Hope". Yeah, it might be the most popular, but I just think it's a beautiful song.
My favorite song from the countdown? "Imitosis". Andrew Bird's take on things fascinate me. I truly appreciate that he's not just a love song kind of guy. His songs make me think.
Great job Prof, looking forward to the next.
- Beatle fanaticLv 71 decade ago
Happy Friday Prof.!
Looks like I missed a few songs somehow. The last one I remember is #46.
That song was really good, another group I've never heard before (but I have heard their name before). I'm gonna have to say that you're the #1 Promoter of Indie bands in R&P, Lol.
My favorite is #57 so far.
Have a great weekend!
- 1 decade ago
Good song from a great band. One of my favorite GBV songs is
'The Official Ironmen Rally Song'
I like almost all of the songs on the countdown but I'm gonna go with Polvo since you're the only person I've ever seen mention them here besides myself. Have you heard their new album 'In Prism'? It's incredible.
Beggar's Bowl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYNhLIfC2o
Listen to the whole album here: http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/In+Prism/355...
- Anonymous1 decade ago
I'd love that song to be played on my school's radio .
This is the first or second Guided by Voices song I've heard so can't say I have a fave other than this song but I'll look into them more actually
Fave song from your list.. It Ain't Easy
Hope you have a cool weekend too !
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- sunkenshipLv 71 decade ago
milky bar kid in moshpit shocker!
not bad at all, but i've heard better. i posted this in the robert pollard entry, but it will do no harm to hear them again
everywhere with helicopter
38, 59, 86, 82, 60, 71, 62 - bingo!
i've just listened to dodo's link above - now, that is brilliant.
was my disdain unjustified a few weeks back?
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Heheh.... "Fuazi".... but anyway...hmm, hows this??Source(s): Eddie Vedder
- 1 decade ago
Happy friday prof
help me with my question please?
- josh_lechLv 51 decade ago