Access: Local Only, not wireless...Internet won't work!?

My 3 year old desktop computer running Vista has never had a problem connecting to the Internet. Yesterday I unplugged my Internet and plugged it into my sister's laptop, also running Vista. Later I plugged it back into my computer and now it says "Access: Local Only" on an unidentified network. I tired plugging it back into my sister's computer and it worked just find. I have tried system restore and shutting down. I have looked online and found this problem about wireless, but not about when your plugged in! What else can I try???

tried unplugging overnight, still does the same thing

Favorite Answer

Shut down the computer and unplug the modem. Wait about a minute. Restart the modem then restart the computer.............

• Abel H

Shut down the computer and unplug the modem. Wait about a minute. Restart the modem then restart the computer.

There are different steps u would have to try to check the problem

1. check if you are getting an ip address or not

How to check ipaddress: go to start and in start and search bar type cmd and hit enter it will open the command prompt window, in the window type ipconfig and hit enter it will give you tye ip adress which will look like 192.168.0.1 or 10.10.0.1 anything but with four points

IF you are getting an ip address than try to ping some website in the same window

Type: ping www.yahoo.com and check the packet detail if all the packets are lost that means there is the problem with the internet if not than u r connected and might be the problem with the browser only and if you are not able to ping than try to ping an ip address

Ping 209.131.36.158 and hit enter and see the result and most of time such problems can be fixed with turning off and than on your modem and router for more details you can ping me on my Yahoo id and i can tell you the steps simultaneously and than it would be easy for you to work

cheers

Source(s): Http://fixforall.blogspot.com http://workasfreelancer.blogspot.com

first of all, the place is this occurring? call your nearby bar association, they'll reccomend a criminal expert who focuses on those circumstances. it would desire to value you some funds, yet there is an possibility they'll take the case professional bono (for unfastened). If all else fails, pass to the nearby newspaper in case you're in a huge city, or the nearrst super newspaper in case you're in a small city and refer to the journalists protecting the beat. they might bounce on the story and might desire to get you the show you how to prefer.

just unplug your modem and or router, and then just wait for it to work

if not, call your service provider

Source(s): life