Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

mold problems in basement?

hi i have an 1852 year old house in maine. my basement has a stone foundation with brick on top of the stone so as you can imagine the rocks collect dirt on them. now my basement was full of cardboard boxes and thing that collected mold i got rid of all that and ready to clean it. can i spray all the walls with water? then i would come in with mold cleaner. what do you recommend for cleaning agent?

thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Please be careful!

If you have a mold problem that stretches for more than 10 sq feet, don't do anything. Both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Center for Disease Control, urge homeowners to call for professional help when the mold infestation is larger than 10 sq feet.

If it is smaller than that, you can clean it yourself with a bleach solution, (1 cup of unscented bleach per gallon of water). But you will need a N95 mask, goggles rubber gloves, and provide good ventilation. You do not want to breath in bleach fumes or mold spores and you don't want any of it in contact with your eyes and skin. Wire brush can be used to scrub the basement wall.

But most importantly, when it comes to basements, is to take precautions to prevent the mold from coming back, and clean up alone won't do it. You will need to eliminate the conditions that favor mold growth.

Mold only grows in high humidity, warm temperatures and in the presence of organic matter in which it feeds. You can't get rid of organic matter in your house and it will be always warm enough for mold to grow.

That leaves you with having to control moisture. Run a good basement dehumidifier to keep RH levels in the basement at or below 50% and the mold will not grow back.

• 1 decade ago

There are all kinds of products to get rid of mold at your local hardware store (TrueValue). I would suggest going there and asking the salesperson for some advice, usually the salesperson gets good feed back on products from their customers.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

stay faraway from properties with mold subjects. It is purely no longer constrained to easily the basement. you will ought to fret approximately spores getting into air flow structures and spreading to different areas of the living house. in case you have infants, it rather is much extra reason to stay faraway from moldy properties. wellness subjects like continual bronchial asthma often is the least of your concerns. With the housing industry in it rather is cutting-edge difficulty, could no longer you detect a house it rather is in better difficulty?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.