Update on my scan plus just to let everyone know that the doctors can be so wrong!?

I had a scan at 13 weeks and 3 days. I didn´t want to know but the doctor blurted out that its definitely 100% a boy! I stared bleeding on Saturday and the doctor told me that I had bad Placenta Previa and that I should be ion bed rest and no sex for the rest of my pregnancy.

Well, I went for a scan yesterday and saw a lovely Doctor (who is actually older than me for a change!) and not only do I not have placenta previa but I am having a GIRL!

My placenta was low but only just touching the cervix and wont be a problem. I have to take it easy but I can have sex!

Has this happened to anyone else? Been told one thing by a doctor and they were wrong?

Also, Anyone told it was a boy, then a girl and it turned out to be a boy after all?

The doctor looked for 5 minutes and could definitely not see any boy parts lol!

Grandparents already have a stash of blue and the poor girl has been called Dylan James for weeks!

I have to admit that I am so thrilled he is a she tho! I really wanted a girl!

At yesterdays scan I was 21 weeks 3 days! And the baby is so perfect! We are calling her Summer Rose.

• Favorite Answer

Doctors cannot tell at 13 weeks whether the baby is a boy or a girl, the only way they can tell is by amniocentesis or CVS which test the amniotic fluid. It is sometimes hard to tell if the baby is a boy or a girl because the girl parts are swollen when in the womb and can be mistaken for boy parts, that doctor should not have told you that the baby was a boy because at that stage you cannot tell by ultrasound whether the baby is a boy or a girl they should be looking for a heartbeat and all the little fingers and toes.

Also at 13 weeks there is no way to tell if you have placenta previa because you uterus is still stretching a lot but is also small as compares to 21weeks. They would have a better idea on how high your chance of the placenta covering your cervix is at 21 weeks than 13 weeks. If it is only just covering your cervix a little bit than there is a big chance that it will move as your pregnancy progresses which would enable you to have a natural labor and birth. I say stick to this most recent doctor who told you that you didn't have placenta previa and that bubs was a girl because he sounds like he knows what he's doing. Also,the name Summer Rose is beautiful. Good luck with everything xxx

Oh hun!!! I am so happy that your placenta is only just touching the cervix!! It will more than likely have moved by your next scan!! So that is great news!!

Also, what a shock!! I can't believe you have thought all this time you were having a boy! How lovely though if you wanted a girl in the first place.

After your last question I answered, I am really happy to see this! What great news!

I love the name Summer Rose too! Have you already bought much in blue? Hope not lol

I'm really pleased for you :D xx

Oh Congrats Gem!

My brother and his wife were told at 13 weeks that they were having a boy, and then at the 16 week scan, it was very evident from her position that she was definitely not a boy.

Yay for not having placenta previa! Makes life far less stressful, and gives you to option to labour and birth your way, rather than having to get a C-Section.

Just wash the blue baby clothes on a hot water setting with a new deep red t-shirt, and hopefully some nice purple baby clothes will come out of the dryer.

Hopefully you're feeling good, and congrats again!

• Oh Gem, hun that's brilliant news! Lol, you were only fussing a few weeks ago about Dylan's name as well :)

Summer Rose is a beautiful name - congratulations!

Really good news about the placenta previa as well...no bed rest which will help you get through this pregnancy a bit better (I know that you have been struggling a little!)

I really am so happy for you. Kisses for you and little bump Summer Rose xxxx

Most mistakes for sex are saying its a boy when it is a girl due to the position of the umbilical cord but even though she said girl I wouldn't run out and buy all pink same if it was a boy. Humans error and I would suggest waiting till the baby is between 32-36 weeks when they are more developed to try to get a peek at the sex.

Yes doctors can be wrong all the time lol. Believe me. Mine told me that I was going to have a nine pound baby and gave me lectures saying I was eating too much fatty foods and stuff and might even have to get c-section. Well, it turned out my baby was born 7pounds 19ounces and she was born through natural child birth and still healthy as ever! So I know what you mean.

I was told at 18 weeks boy, 23 weeks girl, 29 weeks boy. It really angered me because I really wanted a girl and I felt they were messing with me, and Iwas 23 weeks into my pregnancy so I had bought girl clothes, people had bought me presents for girls. I was really bummed to find out was a boy, I mean I love him to death but it did bumm me out. The woman who told me a boy, if i have more kids she will always be the one I believe no one else.

OMG Hunny! I can't beleive that! How do you and hubby feel now you have a pink bump! You are thrilled obviously! Good news on the placenta previa.

Beautiful name by the way!

Haze xxx

Source(s): TTC since Jan 09 - It's my turn for a BFP! x

Well I hope my little 'girl' is a 'boy' lol.. We learnt at 23 weeks that it's a baby girl.

Still, we are sticking to unisex colours! Since our feeling was boy boy boy, and it changed to girl at 23 weeks, so still sticking to blue, brown, green and yellow :)

25 weeks bubs #1

God bless :)

hi. i got told at my 20 week scan it was a girl it was even written on my notes female fetus and guees what??? yep they was wrong i had a little boy lol im expecting my 3rd baby in august and i wont beleive my scan till the babys here this time. good luck hun xx