What are good knives?

I have a knife collection &i need more. What are some nice knives to buy?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Visor
    Lv 5
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

There are a lot of very good kitchen knives, but it'd help to specify your budget. Single knife can be from 100$ to 5000$...

Anyway, for starters, Ignore general knife marketing BS:

1) Forged vs. stamped - As knife marketing tells us good kitchen knives have to be forged, and have full bolster and tang. NONE of that is true. E.g. Stamped Globals are much better performers than most of the forged mainstream kitchen knives. Stamped Forschners are made from the same steels as Wusthoffs and Henckels and I'll bet 1000$ to anyone they won't be able to tell the difference neither in edge holding nor in cutting performance.

I bought Forged and stamped versions of the same chef's knife from Global, and I didn't get anything but extra weight and spent more money on forged knife.

2) Full tang - Another BS, Katana swords and bowie knives are not full tang, yet they can cut through armor and leather, so I really doubt you need more strength than that in the kitchen.

3) Bolsters make sense only on narrow boning knives to protect your hand from slippage, but on other wider knives blade choil area does the job, bolster just makes sharpening a nightmare.

4) Avoid both, Cutco and Furi. Both have very misleading and aggressive marketing, but as knives both are junk.

Main thing you'd have to decide is wester or Japanese. Too different schools of knifemaking. Well, there are Globals which are in the middle, and more western than typical Japanese knife.

As for the brands, well there's a lot of good ones, Chefs Choice, Forschner, Henckels, Wusthof from western and Watanabe, Masamoto, Takeda, Moritaka, Misono, Tojiro, Global and a lot more from Japanese makers.

I suggest you read this article - http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/kk... covers brands, western vs. japanses in detail and few more aspects.

Source(s): 12+ years of knife collecting, sharpening and research
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I have a mixture of "Mundial" (Brazil) and "Trident" (German) knives that I have had for 20 years and will last me the rest of my life. As long as you look after them and keep them sharp you will do well.

• skip anything at the retail stores and go to a restaraunt supplier. That's where you're more likely to find the good stuff

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.