Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

put bettas in plastic bin?

is this ok , plastic bin is cheaper than fish tank

Favorite Answer

A lot of breeders use plastic bins for breeding tanks including myself. Plastic is more porous than glass but as long as you don't put chemicals or soap in it it can't absorb it. I keep a lot of my males in one gallon pickle and olive jars. Some are glass and some are plastic. I've kept them in these off and on for 40 years.

Source(s): 40 years a fish hobbyist

eh i guess you could but when its going to be your pet you dont want to take the cheap stuff for them, if i saw 2 tanks for 50$ and 150$ i would probably buy the more expensive 1 because its nicer, you want your fish to not have a tank, but a home. betta fish can live 5+ years if you want your little fish to be happy and live long why wouldnt you just pay a little more?

• Buy a large vase.

I got a really big vase at Walmart for only $5 and my Betta has a lot of room.

• Jodi

plastic is fine, just wash it [no soap] first to take any potential factory residue off. but then you would need to cycle it before you transfer it. i suggest just buy the new tank and cycle it as soon as possible and skip the storage. its more stress on the fish to keep transfer it. also get a filter

thats fine as longs as the plastic is non-toxic. make sure you wash out the tub before you use it. i know people who use large plastic tubs to raise fry because they need the fry to grow bigger before they can sell them and they dont have the tank space

Well, this is what I heard:

For 2 or 3 days its ok, but any longer than that, and the slime, viruses, etc. will build up, even if you clean it every day.

Hope this helps!

Why don't you just buy a 10 gallon tank? They only cost $15.00 at petco.

bettas? u dont need a tank for them, just like a small vase or something made of glass.

They'll probably die much quicker.