Alice's Adventures in Wonderland...?

How does the caterpillar affect the plot?

Or how does he influence Alice?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Umm, well, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" doesn't really have a set plot; instead, it's rather a jumbled up collection of stories pieced together in a nonsensical fairy tale. (A plot has a set beginning, middle, end, and characters develop and have goals, ect). In fact, Lewis Carroll orginally told seperate stories to his two nieces that featured a girl named Alice in a fantasy world; eventually he combined their favorites into a novel; hence the lack of supporting, chronological acts (if you read each chapter on its own, regardless of order, it's bound to sound like a story of its own).

That being said, the Caterpillar plays the role of a rather stubborn guide. Her meeting him hardly alters the overall "plot" and he has little influence on her character.

When Alice first meets the Caterpillar he asks her to tell him everything that has happened to her. She tries to recount her adventures but is unsuccessful and becomes rather upset. Far from trying to comfort her, he simply repeats his questions until she gets so annoyed that she stomps away. He then calls her back and asks her what is wrong. Alice then seeks his aid by asking him how she can go back to her original height, and he tells her to eat the mushroom that he was sitting on. He then leaves (in the novel he doesn't turn into a butterfly like in the Disney movie, nor does he shout right before he leaves).

So really, the only thing he does is return her back to her original size, and not much else...

Hope this helps! :)

Source(s): Alice fan
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

if i'd desire to vote for a ultimate question, you may win. the secret air of secrecy of alice in wonderland/in the process the looking glass is that no count how previous you're, no count in case you're an grownup or a baby, you may so particularly think of which you're in reality the guy who's falling down a rabbit hollow or working from a jabberwock (actual once you're a baby, commonly metaphorical once you're an grownup). all of us can relate to being so bored that they initiate having a pipe dream. and reckoning on the place you're on your life and the studies you have had, each and every thing in there would be interpreted in a diverse way. a classic occasion of this is the initiating of the action picture dogma, the place between the angels makes use of the walrus and the wood worker poem to cajole a nun that there is not any god. sorry, i quickly switched to term paper mode. lol. in a nutshell, i like it. i'm thoroughly obsessed. I definitely have examine it back and back, seen 5 (i think of) action picture variations, and drawn and painted maximum of of this is pictures. i'm addicted.

• 1 decade ago

It's the drugged food and drink that influences alice...

Everything else is just her sub-concious mind expressing itself...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.