Is their something wrong with this resume? Cause I swear to God I can't get a job!?

Jullien Miranda

No:. 281 260 0393

Houston Texas

WORK EXPERIENCE

2006 – 2009: Weatherford International Jar Technician / Lead

Responsibilities include tearing down and assembling jars to company standards while maintaining good quality as well as quantity. Responsible for testing dirty jars upon arrival from the field; draining jars, dissembling jars and tagging parts. Responsible for carrying out visual inspection of Jars and parts and performing mag particle inspection. Trained in maintaining constant alertness for any flaw in parts, recognizing defective parts and reporting any such findings to shop foreman or service manager. Responsible for steam cleaning and wire brushing all parts; setting torque springs; filling parts with oil; pressure testing and assembling Jars; testing complete/assembled jars; painting jars and putting jars in stock. Responsible for maintaining an organized work area throughout the shift and for replacing any hand tools to their proper locations at the end of shift. Responsible for operation of stationary overhead crane to lift, move, and position loads, such as machinery, equipment, products, and solid or bulk materials and parts using hoisting attachments.

2004 – 2006: Volume Millworks Welding Apprentice / Assistant

Trained in welding machines including Tig (AC and DC) and Mig welder. Ability to weld milled steel, aluminum and stainless steel. Operated 4.5 and 7 inch angle grinder, manual vertical band saw, pedestal grinder, manual milling machine and various clamps and fixtures. Assisted TIG and MIG Welders in welding, brazing; and thermal and arc cutting. Cleaned work pieces to remove impurities such as slag, rust and grease using wire brush, portable grinder, hand scraper and/or chemical solutions. Responsible for properly connecting hoses from hand torch to oxygen and fuel gas cylinders, and cables from power source to electrode holder and work-pieces or fixtures. Moved work pieces, tools and supplies, manually or byhandtruck. Lifted, moved, positioned, held and/or clamped work pieces and components to table, jigs or other positions by using hoist, electric crane, jacks, shims, pry bars, wrenches, hammer and/or wedges. Placed work pieces into furnace to preheat for specified time. Operated gasoline engine to activate electric generators. Assembled and tack-welded steel frames and other component parts of machinery and equipment in preparation for final welding. Measured and marked locations for metal components on assembly table. Verified position of metal components in assembly using straightedge, combination square, calipers, and ruler. Removed rough spots from castings with portable grinder and hand file. Removed, tagged and marked finished work. Attached grappling equipment to objects in preparation of movement. Moved assembly to storage area using a gas or electric powered forklift.

2003 - 2004 Time Warner

Receiving Clerk / Order Filler

Using both a barcode-reading scanner and manual data entry on computer, kept records of all goods received. Accepted deliveries, sorted packages and prepared receipts for customers or delivery personnel. Noted time of incoming delivery and condition of content/product. Transferred data to appropriate departments and moved / routed damaged goods to the proper office.

2003 - 2004 Stewart & Stevenson

Shop Hand

Operated gas and electric forklifts to stock materials. Loaded transport vehicles. Kept record of daily operations. Kept work area clean. Other duties as requested.

EDUCATION

Certificate – Forklift Operator/Driver Trained and certified to drive/operate forklifts (including diesel, electric, gas or petrol powered trucks equipped with fork attachments) in order to shift/stack bales, cartons, containers, crates and pallets of goods in areas such as warehouses or docks; move raw materials and finished goods to processing or dispatch areas of factories; storing goods in correct area of a warehouse; loading transport vehicles making sure loads are evenly and securely placed; servicing/making minor adjustments to the forklift; keeping a record of daily operations. 2005

American CPR Training

Certificate – Safety Oriented First Aid and CPR Trained and certified to recognize first stages of victim unresponsiveness and to perform initial assessment, resuscitation and chest compressions (CPR), as well as to deal with minor emergencies such as cuts, abrasions, burns and hypothermia.

2006 Eisenhower High School Diploma – General Studies

General 12th grade curriculum such as Social Studies (principles of Government, Democratic Ideal, Urbanization, Tax and Finance); Science (Physics, light & optics, relativity/force); Language Arts (English & world literature, mass communication, radio & television); Math (Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics).

Favorite Answer

Too chatty and over-detailed in some ways, while still lacking pertinent information. If I were you, I would start afresh. Here's what sections I would include if I were you and what to put in them:

~Contact Information: Name, Mailing Address, Home Phone (if you have one--I don't), Cell Phone, Email Address, Website (if you have one-- and only if it's relevant, not Facebook or other such rubbish). Don't abbreviate anything. Write out "Cell phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx" instead of just "No." I would bold your name and center it at the top in a slightly larger font. Don't make it look like a Vegas neon sign though.

~Work Experience: Month and Year Started - Month and Year Ended, Job title, Workplace, Location of Workplace (City, State). You can follow it with a brief bullet-point list of no more than four or five shortly-worded items, so pick the most important things and ditch stuff like "keep work area clean" and "other duties as assigned." The person who will hire you KNOWS that all jobs have lots of duties, but it's really a turn-off when someone writes twenty lines about a single job. Example: "Jan 2001 - Jan 2005. President of the United States of America, White House, Washington, D.C. Made policy decisions. Appointed and oversaw administrative committees. Head of executive branch of government." Nuff said, even for that job.

~Special Skills and Qualifications: Put your certifications in here. Same story. We know what CPR certification means, and even a lay-person has a good idea what "Forklift Operator" means. Instead, put when you earned each certification and when each will expire. (You might separate "First Aid" and "CPR" onto two different line items if they were earned separately.) Also put in any other equipment you can operate (even if it doesn't require certification), special licenses (do you have a truck license by chance?), re-mention management experience, etc.

~Education: Again, just the basics, please. Graduation Date (Month and Year), School, City and State of School, any LARGE honors (Don't say you were president of some random club. Your boss won't care.). No hiring manager is going to be interested in reading that list of your high school courses, either. They just need to know you graduated.

~Other Work Experiences: Volunteer work of ANY kind, as long as you've done it more than just a few times (coach, youth leader at a church, soup kitchen, animal shelter, whatever). It shows that you're a productive person and are involved in the community. If you're not doing volunteer work, you SHOULD be while job-hunting. Most people find jobs largely through networking, and volunteering is a FREE way to mingle with other people.

~References: Yes, you put them on your resume as well, even though a majority of applications ask you to write the references on that page. Put in 3-5. First, make sure the people you've chosen will say nice things about you. If you're not sure, pick another person. Second, make sure the references you've chosen are okay with being your references. Third, let them know every time you send a batch of resumes out so they can be prepared for possible phone calls. Who to pick: No family members. Preferably ONLY people you have worked with (so they can talk about your work ethic/skills AND your character rather than just your character). Preferably at least one manager/boss. Include on your resume: Name, Position, Workplace, and Location ("Shift Manager, Such and Such Industries, Sometown, Wyoming"), and as much contact information as your reference gives you permission to include. Whatever the reference wishes.

~(optional): I put a colored dividing line between all the sections on mine to make it a little more visually interesting as well as more cleanly organized. I also print it on heavy-weight marbled paper. I also include three copies of reference letters that I ask bosses, professors, and/or coworkers to write for me. Even though the letters usually aren't REQUIRED, who's going to throw them away? And it makes me stand out above all the other applicants.

~Final Tip: You can move the sections around in a way that seems to make the most sense to YOU. Put the section that seems most important first, and so on. I actually COMPLETELY rewrite my resume depending on the specific type of job I'm applying for, customizing it to match the priorities position I want.

Good luck hunting.

Source(s): I got interviews for a little over half of the resumes I sent out last time I was job-hunting. Got job offers from 75% of the interviews, allowing me the freedom to truly choose which job I wanted most.

first of all your resume looks like it Was copied straight out of a job service office, use the word responsibilities or responsible once, not multiple times, list achievements as much as duties, because the way I read it you are a semi skilled worker, if you welded than you must have some certs or xrays to show a potential employer, your last position is not much of anything ,factory work, certified fort truck operator is enough, high school diploma is all you need to put down.

Your resume needs a solid skill level of some kind, you may have more talent than your resume shows but in it's current state I wouldn't give it a second look unless I was looking for a fork lift operator

Source(s): Manufacturing Mgr 25 years

my bf is also a welder and he is having a hard time finding work because of the economy...

also are there welding jobs readily available in your area?

but by looking at your resume it is tooo wordy, and it doesn't give that dates of when You accomplished these things...and u don't have to go into detail about what studies u took in high school...try to explain things in just a few sentences employeers only glance at a resume most times...

if u are in college, you can have someone look over your resume, do u send a coverletter also?

You are hiding your accomplishments and skills in paragraphs. Consider using bullet points to highlight your core skills and accomplishments, and not using sentences. Recruiters read resumes like this:

What companies you worked for and dates

Your job title

Your skills - top 3 bullets are most read

If this makes sense to them, they will then read more in depth. You need to make it as easy for them to understand what you are trying to achieve.

If you struggle with this, consider having a professional resume writer take a stab at it, or sometimes state unemployment offices have people who can help.

Source(s): I'm in HR and a recruiter.