Lexmark 3600-4600 printer printing only blank pages?

I had to change the printer cartridge - black - a few days ago for the first time. The printer prints out an alignment page which only has the black lines on it, not the coloured ones. Says there is a problem with the alignment. I have tried cancelling the alignment request, but when I try to print the paper goes... show more I had to change the printer cartridge - black - a few days ago for the first time. The printer prints out an alignment page which only has the black lines on it, not the coloured ones. Says there is a problem with the alignment. I have tried cancelling the alignment request, but when I try to print the paper goes through but comes out blank. The printer works as a scanner, but not as a copier, which suggests it's a cartridge problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyone got any ideas please?
Update: Thanks Joseph B, good idea, but I've just tried it & it still doesn't work! Can't understand it, the right number of pages is getting fed through the printer at every request, it's just there's nothing on it.