Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

AK vs AR 15 for the money?

Well with the prices of the AK 47 soaring for even the lowest grade models... (WASRS are 650 a pop where i live in Ohio) and the cost of AR 15's hovering around a solid 700. What is the best choice for home/property defense, as well as if some horrible disaster hits or the government goes crazy and its an end all war. Personally i like the reliability of an AK, but quite frankly if im paying 650 bucks for a cheap one id rather get an AR. Im curious on what others have to say, thanks :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you're really concerned about keeping your family safe in such a sever situation, get a good AK. the reliability of a good AK is worth much more than the high price.

The AR is too finicky when it comes to maintenance. some may say "its not bad at all!" but compared to the AK, its terrible. stories have been told about soldiers knotting up a shoelace, dipping it in motor oil and running it through the barrel, and the AK still works perfectly.

• 1 decade ago

If you are diligent about maintaining your weapon, get the AR-15. It's workmanship and accuracy is far superior to the AK-47. If you are not diligent, then get the AK-47, it can shoot even when it's filthy. Personally, my post armageddon weapon of choice would be the AK simply because you are not likely to find quality cleaning supplies once the balloon goes up. Now for home defense in the here and now, get a good shotgun.

• 1 decade ago

I'd go with the AK.I am assuming (perhaps wrongly so) that you do not have extensive knowledge of firearms. If this is the case then you would do better with the simplicity of the AK as well as the fact that you can still fire it with very little care. (Though I would still clean it regularly). In the AR15 inappropriate care of the weapon can result in a stoppage.

• 1 decade ago

Im gonna have to recommend the AR. You can put some sweet accessories on them, which help out alot in close quarters, The bigger round doesnt make a difference at all, if you shoot a guy in the chest hes going down no matter what.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The AR's are not as durable and fire a smaller round, but they are more accurate and have a larger max effective range. The AR's also can come with a retarctable butt-stock making them more tactical in close quarter situation. It is also easier to repair and buy accessories for the AR.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I trained in the Army in 1970 on the AR15 and M14, which are superior rifles, after that we greased up the AR15 and put them in storage.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.