12VDC power supply actually spitting out 16VDC?

I am attempting to make a small fan system out of a old linksys power supply and a Xbox360 fan set. There are 2 fans in the plastic molding, each with its own 12V, .40A sticker on the back. I have twisted the two sets of wires together, as I would like both of them to run. As for the power Supply the output is said... show more I am attempting to make a small fan system out of a old linksys power supply and a Xbox360 fan set. There are 2 fans in the plastic molding, each with its own 12V, .40A sticker on the back. I have twisted the two sets of wires together, as I would like both of them to run. As for the power Supply the output is said to be 12VDC at 1000mA, aka....1Amp. If I remember correctly, amps are pulled, not pushed, so having a power supply with a higher amperage should be okay, right? (fans are only pulling .80A) the problem is, when i tested the power supply before hooking it up to the fans (using a multimeter), the power supply read out 16V instead of 12V. Im afraid of messing something up, and have no idea why it would be pushing more than 12V... any reply is appreciated.
3 answers 3