Barbizon or Excel modeling and talent agency?

I have been excepted to Barbizon but it is a lot of money. And there is Excel and there prices look a lot better. I dont know which one would be better though. I need help!

Favorite Answer

BOTH ARE SCAMS! Modeling agencies do NOT cost money upfront! Agencies ONLY make money when YOU do. Agents get a small percentage of what you make from a job.

You don't want to get laughed out of LA and NY because you have them on your resume do you?

Still don't believe me?

BARBIZON was exposed by Dateline's Chris Hansen as being scammy! They sent someone who intentionally was a bad actress and she got a perfect score and accepted to Barbizon. Scam O'RAMA! DOCUMENTATION BEATS CONVERSATION!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/v%E2%80%A6

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30156875/

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!

Barbizon, John Robert Powers, and John Casablancas are all SCAMS! They are NOT agencies! They MISLEAD people into thinking that they are, but are NOT. LEGIT Agencies only make money when you do (10% for film/tv and commercials, 20% for commercial print). REAL AGENTS DON'T take $2000 upfront and DON'T make you take their subpar classes. YES! You'll be paying at least $2000 for crappy classes!

A school for modeling is the biggest scam, period! When you get picked up by a LEGIT agency like Ford or Elite, they will teach you or hire coaches. They're not going to reject your resume because "oh, you don't have any modeling classes."

If you don't think they're scams, then go waste thousands of dollars that could go towards good headshots and training from the BEST schools (JRP, JC, and Barb. are NOT the best!) Also, go to a major market like L.A. or N.Y. with those schools on your resume. You'll get LAUGHED out!

Schools like Barbizon, JRP, and JC still exist because there are a lot of suckers trying to get into acting and for the money. They think that going to one school will be the answer and it's not. It's these schools that give them and feed off of those false promises. For every 100 people that go through these scammy schools and lose their money, there will always be that naturally talented kid that gets work and that these scammy schools take credit for.

JRP-Banks on the name of a very famous and DEAD agent. They say that Lucille Ball, John Wayne, Barbara Walters, Heather Locklear, Peter Fonda, Jane Fonda, and many other famous actors went to the school, when NONE of them did! Some of those celebs even threatened legal action for using their names. So you see, they use bait and switch tactics.

John Casablancas-The franchises have been known for unethical business practices and really have nothing to do with the founder's original intentions.

Barbizon-It was popular back in the 70s and 80s. Now these franchises have been known for unethical business practices and false promises.

These schools are OVERPRICED and DON'T provide the caliber training that more affordable and REPUTABLE schools like Howard Fine Studios, Ivanna Chubbuck, Groundlings, Second City, Beverly Hills Playhouse, Stella Adler, William Esper Studios, Tom Todoroff, Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown, Margie Haber, etc. do.

Go look those schools up! They are all respected by the industry and LEGIT!

Source(s): Working actor, Acting Scambuster, and respected contributor to http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee

1

Source(s): Practice Yoga Correctly http://givitry.info/LearnAboutYoga

Excel Model And Talent

Barbizon IS NOT a modeling and talent agency. They are a school. Period. You pay money, take classes, then you are back to square 1 trying to find a modeling or acting agency

I have never heard of Excel but the fact that you mention prices makes me think it's a scam. They are definitely not a big player

Legitimate agencies do not cost a thing out of your own pocket. They ONLY should make money in terms of commission AFTER they book you on a job. PERIOD. While you will have to pay for your own headshots/comp cards, this is NEVER paid through your agency. Any legitimate agency will have a list of at least 5 recommended photographers in your area for you to contact, though you are also free to use the photographer of your choice. Any mention of prices is a red flag that you are not dealing with an actual agency.

Do not bother with any theatrical agency that is not a member of SAG and/or AFTRA to make sure you aren't scammed

http://www.sag.org/content/find-agent

http://www.aftra.org/1098020CF8E64E9E8017CFA4DDC56...

Source(s): agency experience

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): barbizon excel modeling talent agency: https://shortly.im/E70BU
  • Excel wants you to take their classes so they can represent you..then take you to IMTA..you can't go to IMTA unless you pay for their classes..it's cycle that I fell into..the truth is..I didn't get much out of it and I was broke when it was all over with...I spent all of my money on their classes and the NY trip and I didn't know that I could've put all of my money towards production for my music...they didn't tell me this..but, it's my own fault for relying on them and their word and not finding out for myself..this business is tricky..watch yourself and pray very hard before going to Excel or any other place like this...even when I got to NY I had an offer while I was there and my agent at Excel wanted to go shopping instead of help me..it was a huge let down..this was back in 2006 - maybe they've changed..I don't know.

• KG

My advice? Skip the modeling school, save your money, and head right to an agency...honestly! Here's what you need to know in order to do that:

Best "education" on how to get into modeling & the modeling world: www.newmodels.com or www.exploremodeling.com. Both sites explain how the modeling world REALLY works and how to get into modeling. Educate yourself so you don't get scammed. Also check out: http://carinaecasting.com/site/index.php/tag/model...

You can google a large city near you + "modeling agency" to see what pops up. Check out the website. Here are a couple of sites near me that are legit agencies so you will know what to expect to see:

www.traquemanagement.com

www.theigroup.com

www.reneegodin.com

FYI - you don't need a portfolio in order to send photos to an agency. Any agency who wants you will know exactly what kinds of photos they want in order to promote you. Do NOT listen to anyone who says you need a portfolio in order to get started! I had nothing when my agency accepted me. When they signed me, they told me what types of photos they needed ("Commercial/lifestyle"), gave me a list of photographers in the area who did that type of photography, and I had to get photos taken for my comp card (model's business card which has photos on it). I didn't have to use any of the photographers on the list, I was free to go to any photographer I wanted as long as they knew how to do commercial photography. If an "agency" sends you to use their in-house photographer & don't give you the option to shop around for a different photographer, then it is a scam.

And keep in mind that if you are under 18, you will need parental consent before any agency will sign you. So get your parents involved in your decision and have them look at those sites above too so they know what you are doing is legit.

And lastly, modeling is a lot of hard work & you can't always do what you want. As a model, I have to make sure I get a lot of sleep, eat the right nutritious foods, and take good care of myself. Sometimes I can't go out with my friends because I have rehearsals for a show or fittings. You sometimes have to wait around for hours for a rehearsal or maybe at a photoshoot and you have to be very patient. Some models take their homework with them to shoots or rehearsals because they have no other time to do it. Modeling isn't all about lying around looking beautiful. The glamorous photos don't show how much work this really is. I don't say this to turn you off, I say it because people are often surprised about how much work a photoshoot is. Holding poses is tough and it sometimes reminds me of yoga because some of the poses aren't very comfortable at all but you have to try to stay relaxed and *look" comfortable. It's hard. Having said that, if you truly love to model, you won't mind the work involved. Best of luck!!! :)

Source(s): ME - I'm an agency-signed model

start off with excel if it's more reasonable. then save up & move up to barbizon. you'll have more experience then too : )