Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

What's the best dog food for sensitive stomach / diarrhea?

I have a 1 year old pug. I realize I haven't been giving her the best food (purina) and it shows with her frequent stomach problems, mainly diarrhea. I believe her store-bought treats also effect her the same way, convincing me she has a sensitive stomach. I've tried to look online for the best dog food for dogs with sensitive stomachs, but I only end up finding conflicting opinions which leaves me more confused. Please advise! By the way, if it helps, the only medication she is currently taking is monthly Interceptor.

• Leigh
    Best Answer

California Naturals is one of the very best options for sensitive stomachs, it's the first one I'd recommend. Royal Canin makes one called Sensible Choice (not nearly as high quality as Cal. Nat., but it seems to work well). Wellness Simple Food Solutions would be another you may want to try. Stay away from the Nutro products-many, many pet owners report severe gastrointestinal upset on their products.

Has the dog seen a vet to determine whether there is an illness causing the issue? I'd recommend that, as well.

Royal Canin Sensitive Stomach

You can't keep a dog on a homemade bland diet for too long...about five days is standard. There's just not enough nutrition. Fat-free cottage cheese and white rice works to clear up runny stools IF diet is the issue. Chicken and rice works, too, but can cause problems for some dogs. After that, ease your dog onto a limited ingredient, quality dog food. You can also add water to soften dry dog food to make it easier to digest.

If you haven't already, you should have the stool tested for bacteria and parasites which can cause runny stools, as well.

Some foods to try: Blue buffalo Limited ingredient

Wellness Simple

Anything limited ingredient of good quality and low in fat. Try a different protein that what your dog has had before.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have a 1 year old pug. I realize I haven't been giving her the best food (purina) and it shows with her frequent stomach problems, mainly diarrhea. I believe her store-bought treats also effect her the same way, convincing me she has a sensitive stomach. I've tried to look online for...

Source(s): 39 dog food sensitive stomach diarrhea: https://biturl.im/M39X1

California Natural is MADE for pets with sensitive stomachs and for those who have allergies. Its made with the LEAST amount of ingredients. It is a VERY good dog food. No fillers, by products, corn, soy, or wheat gluten (so no food recall). You can put in your state/zipcode to see where you can buy it near you: http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/ The food may be a little more than you are used to paying for dog food, but it will be WELL worth it when your dog doesn't get sick anymore.

Also if you can't get that natural balance is a good food too.

also for more advice please check out my site

http://s2.webstarts.com/answeranimals/contact.html

Source(s): vet

I have a dog with a sensitive stomach and I feed him Acana Grasslands- there is also Prarie Harvest, and Pacific. All three of these have no grain which is a very big contributer to sensitive stomach. Grain causes allergies in dogs.

Aly

Source(s): My dog

There are certain bland diets you can purchase from YOUR vet. Also boiled SKINLESS chicken breast, mixed with a little cooked rice (this should not be used for a long period of time). Purchase your food from a pet specialty store. Also might want to look up the ingredients on the food you are buying. Once you find out what is actually in the food you will never want to buy it again.

Source(s): Experience

I've had success with Nutro lamb for sensitive stomachs.

wellness small breed

its natural with no corn which is a popuar cause of upset stomach- corn is bad for dog

wellness also doenst contain by product or fillers- also bad for dogs

its a 5 star rated brand

i have my dogs on wellness small breed n they love it n doing great on it

its a great brand to look up

Source(s): www.wellnesspetfood.com

when our dogs have a stomach issue, we give them whole milk yogurt. Do not give the diet or the stuff with fruit in it.