promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

is my boat a good starter boat?

last year we bought a Bayliner 185 with the larger motor. 190hp i believe. this is our first boat. we had a blast last year, even though we have been through a couple props lol. we bought the boat brand new but a year old. it had been sitting for a year. we financed about 17k with tt&l and all that fun stuff. did we get a good deal? it has a 4 year warranty on the motor. trailer included in sale. what size prop do u reccoment for better turning when pulling a tuber. we started with a 19 but then went to a 17, didnt like the 17, got a 23, may go back to the 19

Update:

correction on the prop

we have a 19 and its fast out of the hole but doesnt turn worth sh*t when pulling. maybe im thinking of the 21. when i was pulling someone i made a semi sharp turn and i threw myself out of the seat and felt like i was going to turn it over!!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is a good starter boat to gain experience and decide whether the sport is for you or not. There are some things to know about the engine, outdrive and prop combo.

1. The engine, outdrive (Alpha 1), and prop were engineered to give the best "General" performance for the boat at FULL capacity.

2. Making changes to the prop will ONLY affect engine RPM and Launch performance, and not steering.

3. Pulling a "Tuber" places a different load on the boat. This will affect the steering for ANY boat with an outdrive. Steering will be slow since the tuber is causing a higher resistance to "Directional Change", and when it comes around the other way, will cause the boat to "Walk" to the outside. This is normal.

4. If you don't like these effects, get a boat made for water skiing or wake boarding. Look at the difference at the keel of each and the engine, drive and props of the two different types of boats.

Source(s): 40 years of boating. Boating Safety Instructor, member of the U.S Power Squadron and owner of 2 boats and 1 motor yacht.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Actually, what really counts is the fun... If you had a blast last year, and you use it a lot, then yes! you got your money's worth.

It is very true that Bayliner's don't have a good reputation, especially among the more experienced and seasoned boaters. I admit, most of it is to blame for serious problems and much publicized disasters in their early years. Bayliner is owned by Brunswick, and thus there were many jokes about "who wants a boat built by people that make bowling balls... Their market is the first time boat buyer, and they are very good at selling in this market. Fact remains however, no one I know has ever bought a Bayliner twice (in other words, chances are, this will be your first & last boat - or, once you get more serious boating experience, you will move up to a better boat.

But - what you have now is great... especially if you are having fun, using it a lot, and the experience is a BLAST and not a BUST. (Most of us have had our share of both - regardless of the Make and Model of our boats. LOL)

I have included a link for you to look up the current value of your boat. This is to the NADA guide which is used by most boat salesmen and dealers. As a further guide, if you are trading in, they dealer will use the "low" (and maybe even deduct a little when buying your boat. But when they are trying to sell your boat, they will use the "high" value - which is about what you might get yourself if your boat is in tip top shape, and sparkling clean.

Happy and Safe Boating...

PS. It is best to stick with the size and pitch prop that came with your boat.

Source(s): You can look up your boat's used value at this link. http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?l=1&w=2...
  • 1 decade ago

You are referring to prop pitch, not prop size. Prop diameter should be size the drive system manufacturer recommends for your model and hp.

If this is a sterndrive with 190 HP engine, stick with the 19 pitch, 17 pitch is way too low for standard I/O boating use and will potentially cause you to exceed wide open throttle RPM limit for your engine (dangerous). 21 pitch or higher will give you much worse hole shot and overall less desirable RPM response.

Anytime you make a very sharp turn at speed, you can expect to lose a lot of horsepower and speed. If you nearly ejected yourself or others out of the boat when you did that tight turn, you seriously need to slow down to no wake speed before turning that hard.

I recommend you seek some advice from some friends or family that have significant boating experience on towing individuals. There are also resources on the internet that provide good info about this.

Source(s): 3rd Generation boater 17 years of experience 6 years of PWC experience
  • XTX
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

for a starter boat you made an excellent choice and buy ==== go to the boat dealer parts counter and talk to the ""dude"" and get some true answers about the propeller problem... and it just could be that the correct prop may have some factor in the warranty .... be careful about how much you tell the dealer if that is where you bought the boat... Bayliner has a much better reputation than it did years ago ____ if someone says bad mouth about your B-liner do not listen .... you have a good boat === should last and be fun in the sun for many years ... do the service and remember to winterize the boat to protect your investment and the boat and the motor ..........

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The whole point of a bass boat is to spend more money and be faster than your opponent. The whole point of bass tournaments is to sell more bass boats and fishing tackle. I use a canoe and catch lots everytime (but not bass except by accident). Why would anyone need specialized equipment just for bass? Worm, jig, and whammo, another bucket face. I can always tell who the Americans are up here, because they have fancy boats and aren't catching anything. Don't be a pansy, use a regular tin boat and if you must stand up, then a wooden deck with outdoor carpeting and you're there for under $5000 easy. Don't believe the hype! Bass boats are a waste of money.

• 1 decade ago

Sounds good to me. Wish my engine was still under warranty. Sounds like you answered your own ? about the prop. Stick with the 19. Pulling tubes do not require as much torque as a slalom skier.

Keep that boat covered or garaged and you will get many many years of fun out of it.

And, I agree with XTX below. Also check your phone book for a propeller shop. They are a good source for used props also. Sometimes they will let you try a prop out with a reasonable deposit.

• 1 decade ago

Seems your having issues with what prop U need to be able to turn max RPM. With ANY prop U use and it falling off on turns add more cup to the 17 Pitch are go to a 4 blade 17 Pitch most good prop shops will let U test a prop. 21 pitch is for top end not low end running and ski.

• 1 decade ago

sounds lie you got a really good deal, that boat should go for around 22K and in most instances the prop the boat came with is the best suited for alround use, a prop upgrade should only be needed for extreme circumstances

Source(s): old timers experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

try going back to the pitch your boat came with and add a dolphin wing to the lower unit...it helps get up on plane faster and turn better pulling a tube..it keeps more water around the prop..have fun!

• 1 decade ago

it all depends on motor skills and the size of the lake

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.