Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Who is the "us" and "our" when God said "Let us make man in our image"? Genesis 1:26...?

.

That statement is noted in first page of the Bible. Universe, Earth, plants, etc. had been formed at that point then God went on to create man. Who is the "us" and "our" that was creating as only the Onelight (God) was doing all this.

The very next passage reads..."God created man in his own image". There it says "his" not "us" or "our".

It switches from "us" and "our" to "his"...What's that about?

*****Section to cover comments of******

.......There is no God.

.......The Bible is written by nonsense men.

.......It's all a fairy tale.

.......We can't know what was or is the mind of God.

.......Man was not created yet, so don't know.

.......It's doesn't matter, just be a good person.

.......Joke, sarcastic comments.

Any other I left out I'm sure I'll be enlightened to that, that's fine. This question is posted for those who DO believe in God. Am interested in what you sense or know who the "us" and "our" is in that passage. And, why it switched to singular after it was written in plural.

I heard once that the plural is referring to Jesus. Accurate? If yes than interested in explanation of that. Was Jesus with God before Jesus was born on Earth?

Place this question in philosophy or religion/spiritual section? Not sure so placing it here in R/S.

Know the answer to my posted question here than interested to know. And, why it switched from plural to singular.

If you don't know, than still interested in who you think that other is in the "us" and "our" statment.

Thanks.

.

Best Answer

The "Us/our"- is God addressing his partner in creation- HUMANKIND. The way it is understood is this. God created man to be partners with him in creation. Thus in the spiritual realm- it is incomplete without the observance of the Sabbath day by people- and thus we partner with God in the spiritual realm. In the physical realm- we learn that God intended for us to be his partners in creation with him as well. He thus addresses himself to the souls of the future generations, telling us that there will be something for us to do in the completion of the creation of man. It is the Jewish belief, expounded on by the Ramban (aka Nachmanidies) in his commentaries to Bereishis (Genesis), that God in essence only created two things, both on the first day. From the one- everything physical evolved- from the other- everything spiritual, thus the souls of mankind were already in existence by the sixth day- albeit not in bodies. God's intervention is needed here to combine the physical with the spiritual since naturally the two would not combine.

So, what is the physical act of creation that we do in order to be partners with God in creation? that is seen in the Bris Milah- circumcision. Just as the Sabath day was the Jews sealing of their spiritual covenant with God and becoming his partner in spiritual creation- so the Bris Milah is the physical covenant through which we become God's partners in his creation of the physical world.

Alternative explanations:

1) "Us/Our" is the royal "us/Our" used by a king or ruler when referring to himself (Hebrew Grammar)

2) "Us/Our" refers to the angels of the Heavenly court- by consulting with them G-d taught us the proper behaviour of a ruler- to consult with his advisors before making an important decision. (Rashi (Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki))

Source(s): Orthodox Jew; Acting Rabbi; Peirush Ramban; Peiruush Rashi; Midrash Rabbah Bereishis; Hebrew Grammar

We know that there were many others with God when he formed the earth. This is brought out in Job 38:4-7, which states that the angels were there.

But the Bible is more specific. Proverbs 8:22-31 specifically states that "Wisdom" - which is Jesus Christ - was with God during creation, and that he was God's "Master Worker."

This is harmonized with John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:15-20, and Hebrews 1:2. All these describe Jesus as the agent through which God created everything.

So, logically, Jesus was part of the "us" and "our" of Genesis 1:26.

The Hebrew word for God - Elohim - being in the plural does not mean God is a Trinity. It is a function of grammar, and not theology. It is called the "plural of excellence [or majesty]," and was a common occurrence in Hebrew. Some false gods and even men in the Bible are referred to using the plural of excellence, but it is to be understood in the singular. That function of Hebrew grammar is best grasped by English speakers in the example of a King or Queen saying: "We are not amused." That is one instance where an English speaker uses the plural of excellence.

Genesis 1:26 says, “Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'” Genesis 3:22 states, "And the LORD God said, 'The man has now become like one of us...'" There are other Scriptures in the Old Testament that refer to God using the plural. It is also interesting to note that "Elohim," one of the primary titles of God in the Old Testament (occurring over 2500 times), is in the plural.

Some people have used these scriptures to hypothesize that there is more than one God. We can rule out polytheism (belief in multiple gods), because that would contradict countless other Scriptures that tell us that God is one and that there is only one God. Three times in Isaiah 45 alone, He states: “I am the LORD, and there is no other; there is no God besides Me” (vv. 5,6,18). A second possible explanation is that God was referring to the angels by saying "us" and "our." However, the Bible nowhere states that angels have the same "image" or "likeness" as God (see Genesis 1:26). That description is given to humanity alone.

Since the Bible, and the New Testament especially, presents God as a Trinity (three Persons but only one God), Genesis 1:26 and 3:22 can only represent a conversation within the Trinity. God the Father is having a "conversation" with God the Son and/or God the Holy Spirit. The Old Testament hints at the plurality of God, and the New Testament clarifies this plurality with the doctrine of the Trinity. Obviously, there is no way we can fully understand how this works – but God has given us enough information to know that He does exist in three Persons, - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

While the primary emphasis of the Old Testament is on the unity of God, the indications of His triune nature are clearly seen even there. We need not read very far to find the first one: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1). Elohim, the Hebrew name for God in this verse, is plural. That may not prove the Trinity, but it definitely points to more than one person in the Godhead. There was no other logical reason to choose a plural name. As such, we are not surprised, then, to hear Him say a short time later, “Let us make man in our image” (Genesis 1:26, emphasis added). The plural pronouns could not refer to angels because they were never associated with God in His creative activity. Consequently, more than one divine person was clearly involved. The plural pronouns make no sense otherwise (Genesis 3:22; Genesis 11:7). John reiterates this truth when, speaking of Jesus, he declares: “Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made” (John 1:3). Clearly Jesus was present and involved in the act of creation and yet Genesis 1:1 says that “God created the heavens and the earth.”

Source(s): My Lord, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love Thee. I ask pardon for those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope, and do not love Thee. Amen.

First, we need to set the rules: If you're going to quote the Bible, then you need to stick to the Bible. If you're asking us to describe where the "us" reference comes from, then realize, the answer to your question needs to come from the Bible, and nowhere else.

The "us" refers to: God and Jesus.

References:

John 1:1 = In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(I know... "the word"??)

John 1:14 = The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

(Only one came from the Father... that was Jesus.)

So, John 1:1 defines who existed in the beginning. John 1:14 further describes the second entity, the Word, and defines the Word as being Jesus.

There isn't enough room here to prove that Jesus was supposed to be, and fulfilled the prophecy, of the Messiah. However, if you'd like to trace the lineage of Jesus, try Matthew 1:1–17 and Luke 3:23–28. If you want to find out if Jesus fulfills every single prophecy of the coming of the Messiah in the Bible, there are plenty of articles online which will show you every single one in detail.

Your question requires you take off your shoes in order to be instructed. The one uncreated ray is the God that is undefinable, the causeless cause, your "Onelight". Plato understood this and in Timaeus gives descriptive dialectical (right about 38E) concerning the concept of the demiurgos, or fashioners of the Divine Thought who can be thought of as the Seven Rays emanating from the uncreated one. They are the aggregate known as the Dyhan Chohans in the secret doctrine or the Elohim of whom Jehovah is only one, a feminine principled one known as Intelligence (opposite the masculine Wisdom) in the Kabalistic tree of life. Thus, a premise for answering your question but you must gain that higher faculty of understanding that without it you will simply believe your God is Jehovah. Moses knew the Absolute, the uncreated ray, and this was the object of his worship while the masses chose the tribal God, Jehovah. He was, so to speak, able to lift the veil and go beyond the ritualistic worship of Jehovah, this along with his seventy chosen.

This truth can clear up a lot of misconceptions about "God" as portrayed by the Old Testament.

Jesus is a manifestation of the Logos of the Uncreated Ray, therefore his contention with the existing laws given by Jehovah and his quarrel with the Pharisees. There are multiple Logoi, all of which are centres of energy. What was "with God in the beginning by which all that was made was made, this being the life and the life the light of men" is The Astral Light.... not here, maybe later.

All the above lends support to an undefinable Absolute or "Onelight". To place this concept as a fashioner of the Kosmos and all that exists is to give it definition and "Onelight" is beyond definition.

It is by emanations of countless beings that the Kosmos is constructed, this illuminated as well by the Hindu One God with countless emanations.

I believe this is referring to God as the Trinity.

The trinity is a word invented by Christians to explain what the bible says about God.

Very basically the trinity means that there is only One God and that there are three Persons in God (Father, Son[Jesus] and Holy Spirit).

It's difficult to grasp the infinite with our finite minds, so the Christian definition of the trinity is our best attempt to explain what God has said about himself in his word.

If we could put God in a box, would he be worth worshiping?

The bible says that everything was created through Jesus (see John 1, Hebrews 1) so I wouldn't say that you're wrong about Jesus being there. Especially since Jesus is God. If you have any doubts about that biblically, just look at those same references above.

I am going to give you what was given me, you will not find it in the bible, unless it is put before your eyes, but here it is, the answer to your question, <<<<He will yet choose one Man and two Ewe's>>>>, this is plural and refers to the love of Mankind as Man and Woman, the one Man being the Spirit of Jesus, the two ewe's I still work on, so here it is for you two, LOL, the flesh body is host to a spirit, fairly easy to see, if you research you will find that when a character in the bible dies, they give up the ghost, it does not say Holy Ghost, just ghost, referring to the spirit that leaves the flesh. I give you my word, The living God is very, very REAL, it is not a belief I have, it is a fact I have, it says to be humble, that is very true, research humble in full to see what it means, I pray you the best.

The Bible answers this question for us.

Proverbs 8:22-31

22 “Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago. 23 From time indefinite I was installed, from the start, from times earlier than the earth. 24 When there were no watery deeps I was brought forth as with labor pains, when there were no springs heavily charged with water. 25 Before the mountains themselves had been settled down, ahead of the hills, I was brought forth as with labor pains, 26 when as yet he had not made the earth and the open spaces and the first part of the dust masses of the productive land. 27 When he prepared the heavens I was there; when he decreed a circle upon the face of the watery deep, 28 when he made firm the cloud masses above, when he caused the fountains of the watery deep to be strong, 29 when he set for the sea his decree that the waters themselves should not pass beyond his order, when he decreed the foundations of the earth, 30 then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men.

John 1:1

In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

John 1:14,15

So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of undeserved kindness and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, yes, he actually cried out—this was the one who said [it]—saying: “The one coming behind me has advanced in front of me, because he existed before me.”)

This clearly refers to Jesus explaining that he had a pre-human existence and was the one to whom God was talking in Genesis.

The reason the phrasing then becomes singular is because, as the creator, the qualities with which He endowed humans were His own eg wisdom, justice, power, love and a conscience.

Mankind was not created in God's physical image (God is a spirit, mankind is flesh and blood) but was given God-like qualities.

Jesus is also a creation of God and therefore has been endowed with his Fathers qualities.

Source(s): www.watchtower.org

King James Bible

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

THE WORD IS JESUS.

I personally believe that Jesus was with Him at that time. I believe that since they are described as eternal, that it does not just mean eternally in the future since our time was made, but also eternally in the past. Jesus said he was fully man and fully God. God is eternal. That is what I think, others may disagree.

Two possibilities:

1.God was using the royal "We." Kings and queens are noted for saying "We want to do this," instead of "I want to do this."

2. God is speaking to the heavenly court. God, in the Hebrew Bible, is not alone in Heaven. He has angels to deliver messages,and he also has some vague creatures called "elohim," which is the same word as used to refer to God himself, but from the context, it's obvious these creatures are not God. You could justify saying that they are "gods," which technically is what the word elohim means.

Elohim show up just prior to the flood. There, the word elohim is translated "sons of God," mainly because the translators didn't know what else to do with it.

At any rate, these incidents clearly show that god is not considered to be alone in Heaven,so when She creates the world, it is possible that He is speaking to other heavenly creatures.

I hope this helps.