How come Christians can't deliver Greater than these (see John 14:12)?

Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also....

Changing water into wine

Fishing for tax money

Raising the dead

Healing the sick

Restoring sight

Teleporting ships

Stopping storms

Multiplying food

Paula – Christians can't deliver any of these things. Were it the case they could, the economic environment in the United States (and other Christian countries) wouldn’t be in the deplorable condition they're in.

God's Reporter – It can also mean doing things improved.

Rud E – ?

Autumn Wy – what pedantic dribble.

Tommieca – at least an interesting consideration.

BR – and where are the miracles today?

TheGreatSeeker – Try and you still won't know why because 'beliefs' will only serve to program you away from Holy and Righteous Truth. The, Unchanging and never Lying, Most High Lord God of ALL Creation REQUIRES that you Know and Obey him. When it doesn't work like you 'hope' it will, remember this grain of TRUTH!

Favorite Answer

John 21 (Amplified Bible)

25And there are also many other things which Jesus did. If they should be all recorded one by one [in detail], I suppose that even the world itself could not contain (have room for) the books that would be written.

+++"3. It concludes with an et cetera, with a reference to many other things, very memorable, said and done by our Lord Jesus, which were well known by many then living, but not thought fit to be recorded for posterity, v. 25. There were many things very remarkable and improvable, which, if they should be written at large, with the several circumstances of them, even the world itself, that is, all the libraries in it, could not contain the books that might be written. Thus he concludes like an orator, as Paul (Heb. xi. 32), What shall I more say? For the time would fail me. If it be asked why the gospels are not larger, why they did not make the New Testament history as copious and as long as the Old, it may be answered,

(1.) It was not because they had exhausted their subject, and had nothing more to write that was worth writing; no, there were many of Christ's sayings and doings not recorded by any of the evangelists, which yet were worthy to be written in letter of gold. For, [1.] Every thing that Christ said and did was worth our notice, and capable of being improved. He never spoke an idle word, nor did an idle thing; nay, he never spoke nor did any thing mean, or little, or trifling, which is more than can be said of the wisest or best of men. [2.] His miracles were many, very many, of many kinds, and the same often repeated, as occasion offered. Though one true miracle might perhaps suffice to prove a divine commission, yet the repetition of the miracles upon a great variety of persons, in a great variety of cases, and before a great variety of witnesses, helped very much to prove them true miracles. Every new miracle rendered the report of the former the more credible; and the multitude of them renders the whole report incontestable. [3.] The evangelists upon several occasions give general accounts of Christ's preaching and miracles, inclusive of many particulars, as Matt. iv. 23, 24; ix. 35; xi. 1; xiv. 14, 36; xv. 30; xix. 2; and many others. When we speak of Christ, we have a copious subject before us; the reality exceeds the report, and, after all, the one half is not told us. St. Paul quotes one of Christ's sayings, which is not recorded by any of the evangelists (Acts xx. 35), and doubtless there were many more. All his sayings were apophthegms. 2.) But it was for these three reasons:— [1.] Because it was not needful to write more. This is implied here. There were many other things, which were not written because there was no occasion for writing them. What is written is a sufficient revelation of the doctrine of Christ and the proof of it, and the rest was but to the same purport. Those that argue from this against the sufficiency of the scripture as the rule of our faith and practice, and for the necessity of unwritten traditions, ought to show what there is in the traditions they pretend to be perfective of the written word; we are sure there is that which is contrary to it, and therefore reject them. By these therefore let us be admonished, for of making many books there is no end, Eccl. xii. 12. If we do not believe and improve what is written, neither should we if there had been much more. [2.] It was not possible to write all. It was possible for the Spirit to indite all, but morally impossible for the penmen to pen all. The world could not contain the books. It is a hyperbole common enough and justifiable, when no more is intended than this, that it would fill a vast and incredible number of volumes. It would be such a large and overgrown history as never was; such as would jostle out all other writings, and leave us no room for them. What volumes would be filled with Christ's prayers, had we the record of all those he made, when he continued all night in prayer to God, without any vain repetitions? Much more if all his sermons and conferences were particularly related, his miracles, his cures, all his labours, all his sufferings; it would have been an endless thing. [3.] It was not advisable to write much; for the world, in a moral sense, could not contain the books that should be written. Christ said not what he might have said to his disciples, because they were not able to bear it; and for the same reason the evangelists wrote not what they might have written. The world could not contain, choresai. It is the word that is used, ch. viii. 37, "My word has no place in you." They would have been so many that they would have found no room. All people's time would have been spent in reading, and other duties would thereby have been crowded out. Much is overlooked of what is written, much forgotten, and much made the matter of doubtful disputation; this would have been the case much more if there had been such a world of books of equal authority and necessity as the whole history would have swelled to; especially since it was requisite that what was written should be meditated upon and expounded, which God wisely thought fit to leave room for. Parents and ministers, in giving instruction, must consider the capacities of those they teach, and, like Jacob, must take heed of over-driving. Let us be thankful for the books that are written, and not prize them the less for their plainness and brevity, but diligently improve what God has thought fit to reveal, and long to be above, where our capacities shall be so elevated and enlarged that there will be no danger of their being over-loaded.

The evangelist, concluding with Amen, thereby sets to his seal, and let us set to ours, an Amen of faith, subscribing to the gospel, that it is true, all true; and an Amen of satisfaction in what is written, as able to make us wise to salvation. Amen; so be it.

The greatest thing a Christian can do is none of the above. Jesus said the least in heaven is greater than John the Baptist. Why? Cause Jesus died for the least in heaven. Now go out there and find the least in heaven. The greatest miracle of all is eternal life we receive by believing in Jesus dying for our sins. I pray for the sick and they recover. I have no reason to stop a storm but I have prayed and rebuked a tornado and it quit. I don't need to raise the dead for them to die again. I have heard angels and have seen angels. Their work is fascinating. I can't wait to get to heaven to talk to the angel that i seen.

They already did. Read about Peter and Paul in Acts. The miracles they performed surpassed many of those performed by Jesus.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com

we shall see. I am seeking for the dwelling of the holy spirit in me to walk like Jesus. I believe fanatically in perfection and i believe God is wise enough to dwell in me with all his strength and holiness and righteousness and power.

I believe with all my heart God will train me up to walk perfect and with the same strength he walked when he walked on the earth.

The answer is found in Rom 3:11. I belive I am the only one seeking God, and searching for the understanding of God and his ways.

• RG

Wow Dr. Theology, you just proved the best Christian theological minds of the last 2,000 years wrong!.....

We just thought it was normal activity.

Sorry you missed it.

"greater" there means "more"