falisha asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you guys think that if Michael Steele ran for president that African American would vote for him?

I see a lot of talk about race on here everyday and the mention that African Americans voted for President Obama because he was black. If Michael Steele ran against Joe Biden, do you think Steele would get the majority of the black vote?

Liberal AssKisser, Why cant republicans elect a black person? Black people arent the only ones to vote. And in many places african americans make up a very small percentage of the population like 5 percent.

For for example, Iowa is 3% african american. So the african american vote there really didnt make a difference. So if democrats can elect africans why cant republicans?

Favorite Answer

Steele would probably do better with black voters than other recent Republican candidates have done. But other Republicans generally get between 5 - 10% of the black vote. Steele might get about 20%, at best 25%, but would still lose the black vote badly.

It really is untrue that Obama won the black vote because of his race. Kerry won about 90% of the black vote. Obama won something like 96%, so he did substantially better than Kerry with blacks, but he also did substantially better than Kerry with whites and hispanics, and by about the same percentage.

• Robin

I didn't vote in the last election because I didn't really like either candidate, but if Michael Steele had run, I would have voted for Obama and probably join a street team or something promoting Obama, because I can't stand Michael Steele. He's a very bad, bad man.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Though I really don't see how he'd get past the Republican primaries. He has already p*ssed off Republicans immensely, and that is before they even bothered to find out his actual beliefs.

At the time of his election to RNC chairman, on his website Steele said that not only was he a beneficiary of Affirmative Action but that he believed it was a good thing and should continue. He also said that Roe v. Wade should remain in place. And he also said that gay marriage was an inevitability, and Republicans should just accept that and jump to the forefront of gay rights.

And why did he believe Republicans should jump to the forefront of gay rights, rather than try to delay it as long as possible, as most other Republicans are wont to do? Well, Steele said that he believed the main reason that Republicans have such trouble attracting the black vote is because they had allowed the Democrats to move to the forefront of the civil rights movement. And the reason Republicans have such trouble with Hispanics now is because of how vitriolic and hate-filled Republicans allowed themselves to become in the immigration debate (his words, not mine). And so if Republicans were to hang onto any chance at the youth vote and not lose the next generation, they would have to move to the forefront of gay rights; since almost all support for allowing gay people to marry is coming from younger voters.

How Republicans EVER decided to let Steele be put in charge is beyond me. I like him myself, but I'm a Democrat. Steele disagrees with Republicans on every major social issue that matters to them. Which makes you wonder why they elected him to a position of real power after 2008, but not before...

But I digress. The point is, I doubt black people would get a chance to decide, because I really don't see Steele getting past the primaries. I believe Rush Limbaugh would block that nomination.

But I really don't see Joe Biden ever trying to run again. He is 69 years old. Obama is running again in 2012. So Biden's earliest chance to run would be in 2016 when he would be 76 years old. Considering how he attacked McCain for being too old at 72 years old, I really don't see how Biden could really get anywhere.

I'm sure some blacks would vote for Steele just because he's black. Just as I'm sure some blacks voted for Obama just because he's black. But a lot more white people voted -against- Obama just because he was black, then blacks who voted -for- him just for that reason.

The fact is, blacks traditionally vote 90-95% Democratic anyway. So in a hypothetical case where a black Republican is running against a white Democrat, that might split the black vote. But that's just hypothetical.

For more than 100 years the Republican Party has been the party of intolerance. Racism, sexism, nativism, homophobia, and even religious intolerance. For all this time they have always incited the majority against minorities. But in recent years,they see that minority populations are growing rapidly in certain key 'battleground' states, and they know they need at least part of these votes to win those states. This is more a matter of Hispanics than blacks, but what's the difference? They've been 'reaching out' to blacks and Hispanics, but so far not many blacks and Hispanics have been fooled.

But they are still trying to play the other side of the game as well. They were desperate to make Obama's race an issue in the 2008 election, questioning his origin, religion, etc. And the whole idea that Obama won because blacks voted for him because he was black is part of this. And it's pretty silly.

Democrats will not vote for him because he is a right winger, and half of republicans will not vote for a black man. So he would never win. Let him run, and he will fail. "He just doesn't look like the other presidents," (exemption of Obama), as the racist half of the republicans would say.

No, he is not very intelligent and he is a Republican so even though he is black he would not get the black vote.

• No because they consider Steele to ne a 'sell out' working for the white man.

Dingy Harry says no his skin is to dark.

Also can he speak n e g r o on demand like 0bama?

You see 0bama is a Magic N e g r o Steele is only human.

No probably not, but neither would Colin Powell. Any black that doesn't act like he's from the' hood ' is immediately labeled an Uncle Tom.

black people tend not to vote for republicans... just ask alan keyes.