Could someone tell me a little bit about the UCLA campus?

Dorms, overall campus size, libraries, etc.

Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

UCLA is in the Westwood section of LA, just inland from the Santa Monica/Brentwood area. borders Bel Air (North and northwest side of campus) along Sunset Blvd, which has a lot of trees and glam houses - down the west side is a hilly section of Westwood that's jam packed with apartment houses (even a few fraternity houses) - and just beyond that (going west) the huge VA cemetery. To the south is a few blocks full of shops and restaurants... there's a fair amount to do, but it's not as much fun as other neighborhoods (Santa Monica, Venice, Silverlake, etc.) so I didn't hang out there much when I was a student. Bordering that little commercial area is Wilshire Blvd, one of the huge main streets (going east-west). Finally along the east side of campus (Hilgard Ave) is a residential area. So, overall it's really nicely situated.

It's super close to the beach (maybe 10 minutes' drive) and in the other direction, to Beverly Hills. Westside Pavilion mall is not too far (by car or bus); same for the Beverly Center. There's always the 3rd Street Promenade right by the beach in Santa Monica, which leads directly into Santa Monica Place mall, which is being totally rebuilt but will be open before the next school year starts. Point being, there are a ton of things to do really nearby, and it's definitely in the safer area of LA. A little common sense and you'll be fine.

You don't have to live in the dorms - there are tons of apts. nearby. At first I lived on Levering Ave. just west of campus (the area is primarily college students) which was very close, but I had to walk up and down a billion hills and it took 20 minutes even though it was right there by campus! Then I got smart at moved out near Santa Monica, which was so much more affordable - I lived on S. Federal, just south of the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and took the Santa Monica #1 bus to and from school, which ironically was much further away but just as fast as walking from my old apt. There's a bus stop right there on the east side of campus (directly on Hilgard, they have a little bus inlet with stairs leading down to it from campus), so you're close to all the buildings where classes are held. The bus also stops at the south side of campus, if that's more convenient for you. Santa Monica blue bus lines 1, 2 and 3 go straight to school, so consider cheaper places (even a studio, if you'll be living alone) along those routes.

The campus itself is HUGE - most of the classes are located somewhat by topic. It's basically on a slope, so there are different levels (geographically) of buildings - vaguely like steps. The section you always see on TV and in movies is the plaza in front of Powell library, which hosts a lot of humanities, anthro, language sorts of classes. On the same level, but closer to the east edge of campus, are some administrative buildings (registration, financial aid, etc.). If you go a little to the southwest and follow the throngs of people, you'll probably end up walking westward downhill on what is officially called "Bruin Walk east" (though we never called it that!) and you'll pass Kerckhoff Hall on your left (south side) which has a tiny but cute cafe. Right after that is Ackerman Union (campus store downstairs; food court is upstairs) and the student center, then the huge gym (with athletic fields nearby) and of course the Bruin statue. On this lower level of campus, further to the south and arranged around their own huge courtyard area are the science, math, engineering buildings. Past that is the med school, hospital, more research facilities... and that's where it kind of blurs into the commercial area.

It sounds complex, but esp. for such a massive campus, it's actually quite easy to get around once you know the basics. Just be sure to look at the location of your classes on the map before you register because sometimes it can be quite a distance from, say, an English class at the top of campus to an Astronomy class in the science quad. I did more than a little rushing around, but that can be mitigated with better planning. On an up note, it's great exercise! The best-known library of course is Powell, but there is one called Young up on the north end, plus smaller libraries by field.

The dorms are all concentrated pretty much off on their own, on the northwest section of campus - I can't say what they're all like (you could probably find photos online) so some might be fine, but what I saw was unbelievably tiny. Two twin beds with maybe 4 ft between them! I transferred in so I never lived on campus - a lot of people don't - but from my friends' dorm experiences, it seemed like a good way to meet people. Esp. at first, the size of the school can be totally overwhelming, but once you find your niche, it's fine. I loved UCLA - it was a ton of work, so stay focused, but I am so glad I went there.

dorms are pretty nice. Campus is pretty big. Theres lots of places to go around UCLA. Let me tell you some things UCLA has.Campus at first seems really big but then as you get to know the school, the school seems smaller than initially thought. The library is huge. UCLA has like three libraries. All of them are beautiful.

they have a gym

restaurants and cafeterias

beautiful buildings

lots of cool people

sunny all the time

beach near