Will Mexico make it out of the Group Stages in 2010?

Like supporting the less popular countries.

Any chances of Mexico being a dark horse this year guys?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Mexico did luck out by getting the easiest opponent of all the seeded teams (host South Africa). However, opening the tournament against the host could be tough. It will all depend on how well Mexico can adapt to the atmosphere. Mexico is the superior team, but if they don't come into this match ready to play and get a quick goal or two to quiet the crowd, this could be a dangerous match. Mexico is 2-1-0 all time vs. South Africa, with all 3 matches being played in the USA. The most recent result was a 2-1 loss in the 2005 Gold Cup. Mexico will need all 3 points in this one to advance.

France got into the tournament on a bit of controversy in their match vs. Ireland and seems to be slipping a little bit. They did not advance out of group play in Euro2008, although they did draw a tough group with losses to Italy and Netherlands and a draw against Romania. France has not played great in group play for the last two world cups, either. In 2006, France won over Togo but had disappointing draws vs. Switzerland and South Korea. They did manage to wake up by the knockout stage to upset a few favorites (Spain and Brazil) and took 2nd place. In 2002, France only managed one point vs. Uruguay with surprise upsets by Senegal and Denmark. Mexico is 0-5-1 all time vs. France, and the only draw was in 1966. On a positive note, Mexico did manage to play close in a 1-0 friendly played in France in their most recent match (WC 2006 warmup). If Mexico can get a point out of this one, their chances of advancing will be greatly improved.

Uruguay is the wild card. Uruguay narrowly advanced as the #5 CONMEBOL team and were only 2 points ahead of 8th place. Uruguay also qualified with a bit of controversy vs. Costa Rica. Mexico managed to easily beat Costa Rica in both qualifying matches (3-0 and 2-0) while Uruguay only managed a 1-0 victory and 1-1 draw. Mexico holds a 7-3-7 advantage all time vs. Uruguay. The most recent loss was 2-0 in a 2003 friendly in Chicago, and Mexico has back-to-back 3-1 victories, in 2005 and 2007 (with the 2007 match played in South America - CONMEBOL continental final). Looking at recent results, Mexico should be able to win this one easily. If they give up a draw, they might have trouble advancing.

My predictions for the group:

Mexico beats South Africa 2-1 in a closely contested match

France and Uruguay play to another scoreless draw

South Africa upsets Uruguay 1-0

Mexico plays inspired and pulls out a 1-1 draw vs. France

Mexico easily defeats Uruguay 2-0

France beats South Africa 3-1

If this scenario plays out, Mexico would win the group and has a strong chance of advancing past the #2 team of group B (Nigeria/South Korea/Greece) and even advancing further past the #1 team of group C (England/US?) or the #2 team of group D (Australia/Serbia/Ghana?). The semifinal would be tough, though (Netherlands/Brazil/Portugal?).

However, if Mexico loses to France, there is a good chance they finish #2 in the group, depending on the other results. Then they would likely have to play Argentina in the next round, possibly followed by Germany, and Italy/Spain in the semis if there is any hope of making it that far.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i'm optimist about it you know why cause in the past Mexico has gotten tougher groups like in 2002 when they got croatia, italy, ecuador they came on top of italy. but like everybody says it all comes down to the opening game everybody knows mexico is better than Sa (no offense) but will they be able to handle the pressure? if we can win the first game i say we're in if we tie it we might still have a little hope but if we lose it i think we won't make it trough .

• 1 decade ago

I think they have a 50/50 chance.with the team they had 4 yrs ago I would say yes but with the team they have now I think their is a good chance South Africa will win it's opener.

• 1 decade ago

Mexico is better than South Africa. But it comes as third favourite, behind France and Uruguay. I think that If Mexico manages a win and two draws, they are 100% qualified.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They will be fodder. They actually got put in a very tough group. They might survive if Uruguay flop, which is just as likely.

No one should count out SA just yet. Even in 2002, co-hosts Japan somehow managed to survive the group stage.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It will be tough for them, I think both France and Uruguay are about par to Mexico, and South Africa while having a much weaker team will have the whole host nation thing going for them. So very difficult to predict.

• 1 decade ago

I don't know if they will make it out, after all, Group A is the true group of death, not Group G. Unlike Group G, ALL of the teams in Group A and Group D actually have a legitimate chance of grabbing first place in the group.

If Mexico do make it out of Group A, they can at least make the Quarterfinals.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they have never done great in the past....but they are in Group A along with France, Uruguay & South Africa. i think they will finish 2nd in this group with France at the top.

i don't think they are a Dark Horse to watch....i think Ivory Coast or somebody like this might be worth a little flutter!!

• 1 decade ago

Agree with Dark Mistress----tough group, no easy games, but certainly they will have a fighting chance to advance.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mexico is not a bad team if they train hard they can make it cues france are weak wit out zidane , henri is so old . it's a good chance for mexico .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.