Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Does buying 93 octane gas get me better gas mileage than 87 octane? What are the benefits/Cons?

My car does not require it, but I have been doing this for a while now and I am wondering if it is helping or not. Please let me know the pros and cons of high octane gas.

It is a 2004 chevy impala base model.

Favorite Answer

Hey Connor, High octane fuel is designed for high performance, high compression engines. Some lower performance vehicles can benefit from an increase in octane, the increased detergency also helps keep the fuel and combustion systems cleaner. However most computer control vehicles will automatically compensate for variations in fuel quality and economy will not really increase. The only mileage realized may be the engine could run smoother and more responsive which could equate to better economy. Considering the cost to benefit , I would use the fuel grade specified by the manufacture. You will notice a change in performance and economy if you do change over until the cars computer can make the necessary changes, usually within a hundred miles or so. If you do not like the performance, you can always change back. good luck!

Source(s): fleet tech

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): buying 93 octane gas gas mileage 87 octane benefits cons: https://biturl.im/ymw2e

In a car that recommends regular gasoline, premium will not get you noticeably better gas mileage. The only advantage is a lighter wallet or pocketbook to carry around. Inversely, when regular gasoline is used in a car that requires premium, the engine’s computer changes its operation — it retards ignition timing — to adjust for lower octane fuel. This change in operation can decrease gas mileage and power.

According to the American Petroleum Institute, premium traditionally has a slightly higher energy content, which can provide better gas mileage, but any gains will be difficult to detect in daily driving. If there is a mileage advantage, it will be a far cry from saying premium is cost effective and negates the extra cost.

The main difference between regular, mid-grade and premium gas is the octane rating, which is a measure of gasoline’s resistance to combustion. It’s commonly sold in 87, 89 and 93 grades; 91 or 92 are available in some areas. Certain engines (especially ones with a supercharger or turbocharger) need the high octane go-go juice to prevent engine pinging or knocking, which can be harmful to an engine.

Before you make your car shopping decision, though, remember that a car will run best on its recommended fuel. If the car requires (not recommends) premium, definitely use it unless only a lower grade is available. You should always use the gasoline that the automaker — not the dealer — recommends. That’s why it’s always phrased either “recommended” or “required.” If you don’t know what fuel to use, check your owner’s manual.

Source(s): ask.cars.com

93 Octane Gas

93 Octane

High octane fuel is made for high compression engines. It is used because it is less likely to ignite under compression. It is also often recommended for people who have engine "ping" which is caused by hot spots in the combustion chamber. Again, the higher octane is recommended because of its LOWER volatility. If you really want to see a difference in MPG, get one tank of E85 which is usually 104 or 105 octane -- what you will find is that you LOSE about 20% to 25%. If you lose that much MPG going from 87 to 105, you can safely bet that switching from 87 to 93 octane will probably drop around 10%. In any case, you will NEVER increase your MPG by increasing your octane. Folks that claim they are getting better MPG on higher-than-recommended petrol are either not keeping good records, or are bad at math.

In a nutshell: don't waste your money on high octane gasoline.

Source(s): Personal experience, testing, and rigorous records Oh, and cartalk.com agrees with me :-)

it makes more of a difference in MPG with 8 cylinder or more engines. But if not you wont need it. Brand new cars today are designed for the 87 octane fuel.

Other than that most higher octane gas comes with more detergents. I get a half a tank of 92 every other month when im almost on empty to clean out my system. I in my daily driver have an old 1991 v6. When i do that it always runs allot smother and that seems to last on the engine for a long time but i never notice better mileage. But if i go 4 or 5 months without doing this then i notice my car hesitates often and runs rough till i fill it with 92 or dump in a can or 2 of Octane boost.

• LeAnne

If your car is a newer, computer controlled vehicle that recommends 87 octane, the use of a higher octane gasoline provides no advantages at all. It may even cause a longer crank time at start up - especially in cold weather.

The strategy in the computer and the engine itself is designed to get the most efficiency out of the quicker combustion provided by the regular fuel.

I have a 92 olds with 106xxx i was using 87 but also had the ping .I switched to 93 octane and for me at least it seems like my engine runs a lot smoother now .. For me it worked out

• W A

On OBD-II vehicles don't bother putting in the highest grade fuel. And 6 octane ratings above recommended on anything probably isn't the greatest idea for long periods of time. If it is OBD-I it won't run at the ideal conditions but you shouldn't do that much damage to it... and if it's a classic you're supposed to use non-oxygenated fuel.

But in my 1994 Saturn I've used premium gas for over a year and she runs great! No more than 92, no less than 90. And may I point out that higher octane fuel burns quicker, not slower. I can't remember who put that as an answer but it's opposite.

If you want better gas mileage on your 87 octane rated vehicle put in 89 to be safe, or you can get it tuned for a higher octane fuel.