Lee asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Should assisted suicide be available for people like my friend; he didn't ask to be born, had loons as parents?

, grew up seriously depressed, can't hold down a job, is alone, has his own spiritual beliefs about death and what happens after; and wishes for help from a humane society to help him die, as he has no idea how to do it himself without messing it up.

Does a humane society have a duty to help him and others like him to die, seeing as they never chose to be born?

Please note I said he has own beliefs so lets have no religious nuts answering this one please!

.

Worldly answers only, please, no more soccer moms or light headed idiots

Favorite Answer

Sure, why not?...

I, myself, have no problem with anyone committing suicide for any reason whatsoever but, then again, - I also do not cleave to the notion that human life has any real, intrinsic value to it...

That said, - I don't believe that anyone, - not a parent or sibling, not a teacher or psychologist, - can ever wholly understand what one's 'true' state of mind is when they decide to forfeit their life.

And yet, - many times I have heard the shallow-pated masses bleat the clichés, "It takes a selfish coward to commit suicide", and, "It takes more courage to go on living than it does to commit suicide".

To them my retort is always the same: "Try it..."

In truth, I feel that anyone who would brand those who commit suicide as 'selfish' are not only woefully misguided in their take but are, ironically enough, prime examples of selfishness, - for only an enormously selfish person would admonish someone who wishes to die simply because THEY would like the tortured soul to go on living for THEIR own comfort or amusement.

I will leave you with this quote, as I believe it is the wisest thing I've ever read on the subject of suicide:

---... "We have no power to prevent ourselves being born: but we can rectify this error - for it is sometimes an error. When one 'does away with' oneself one does the most estimable thing possible: one thereby almost deserves to live."...---

F. W. Nietzsche

-

Source(s): Saint Christropher Walken Patron Saint of Those Who ALMOST Deserve To Live

I never asked to be born and I had complete loons as parents. The whole thing left me seriously depressed and I have my own beliefs about death and what happens after.

It took a while but I managed to start trusting people again. No everything isn't perfect but I got married had a couple of kids and several grandchildren.

My life is pretty good right now and I'm really glad that I stayed around to see the happy times too.

It could have easily gone the other way. I would hate for your friend to miss the opportunity to see his happy time.

Love and blessings Don

"Unhappiness is not knowing what we want and killing ourselves to get it.”

Don Herold

You can't expect anyone to help someone die, who's not already dying. Who'd feel comfortable doing that? I know I wouldn't sleep at night. He should have a way out available to him, but in the form of counselling.

Blaming the rest of the world and sticking to your beliefs (that obviously don't work since he's miserable) does not help. He needs to see that HE needs to make a change in order to be happy. Stop looking back. We live NOW. Many people that have once wanted to die, are now happy and thankful that it didn't happen then. So nobody with a normally- functioning concience could help your friend die, without getting nightmares, guilt etc. You can't ask anyone to do that.

"There is only one cause of unhappiness: the false beliefs you have in your head, beliefs so widespread, so commonly held, that it never occurs to you to question them.”

Anthony de Mello

• ROBERT

I firmly believe in euthanasia for all suffering animals. Why are not humans given the same respect? Don't worry about me when I get old and suffering if my State does not offer it. I will buy an Elephant gun and a bottle of whiskey and sit on the lawn of the Statehose, drink the bottle and blow my brains out, that should make a statement. Quicker than lethal injection and more daring but will not harm anyone else and only put myself out of misery. Just kidding.

Well, I am sorry to hear that your friend is at the point where he wants to die. I don't think assisted suicide should be available for anyone. However, he might want to speak to a counsellor and get some anti depressants so that he sees things a little differently alternately, he might want to explore other beliefs systems as his current one doesn't seem to be working out for him.

In a humane society, the right thing to do would be to help him find an outlet for him to get the proper help that he needs....to be there with him when he seeks treatment or therapy...to be a shoulder to cry on when he needs it the most...to alert someone that knows how to deal with the problems that he battles and try to convince him to get therapy and try meds.

No one asks to be born, and many people have loony parents - If someone "really" wants to suicide, they will do it, and they will keep trying until they get it right.

Involving someone else to help them will only result in that person being charged with either manslaughter of murder.

The answer is obvious to me...no it shouldn't.

Source(s): am not religious & have dealt with the pain of watching a loved one suffer years of mental illness that eventually stole her life. I will never judge those that decide to end their life, but nor will I support someone assisting them to do so.
  • HHMM

I answered another such post earlier. if you do not like where you are MOVE! I moved 2000 miles and everything changed the people the attitudes everything. Is life nothing but cheer and sunshine? No its life but is it better than it was? yeah. Don't just sit and complain and hope someone helps you DO SOMETHING! and if you assist this person in ending life you should be ashamed of your self. Try other options. I am no bible thumper and whining gets you nothing. You are sympathetic and this person knows it and is acting out.

uh, idiot...don't you remember Dr. Kavorkian?? He was arrested for performing assisted suicides. Nobody can legally do that, and especially a humane society. What they may do, though, is offer him some counseling or therapy because, let's face it, depression doesn't go away after we kill ourselves. It goes away after we accept ourselves.

• D D

compared to most of the world it seems hes had a very happy life, and nothing to die about.

• .

im sorry but yes. my star is also fading