Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How do you get yourself to keep reading the bible despite the hundreds of pages in it?

The bible has like one thousand plus pages in it.

Favorite Answer

We should read and study the Bible because it is God's Word to us. The Bible is literally "God-breathed" (2 Timothy 3:16). In other words, it is God's very words to us. There are so many questions that philosophers have asked that God answers for us in Scripture. What is the purpose to life? Where did I come from? Is there life after death? How do I get to heaven? Why is the world full of evil? Why do I struggle to do good? In addition to these "big" questions, the Bible gives much practical advice in areas such as: What do I look for in a mate? How can I have a successful marriage? How can I be a good friend? How can I be a good parent? What is success and how do I achieve it? How can I change? What really matters in life? How can I live so that I do not look back with regret? How can I handle the unfair circumstances and bad events of life victoriously?

We should read and study the Bible because it is totally reliable and without error. The Bible is unique among so-called "holy" books in that it does not merely give moral teaching and say, "Trust me." Rather, we have the ability to test it by checking the hundreds of detailed prophecies that it makes, by checking the historical accounts it records, and by checking the scientific facts it relates. Those who say the Bible has errors have their ears closed to the truth. Jesus once asked which is easier to say, "Your sins are forgiven you," or "Rise, take up your bed and walk." Then He proved He had the ability to forgive sins (something we cannot see with our eyes) by healing the paralytic (something those around Him could test with their eyes). Similarly, we are given assurance that God's Word is true when it discusses spiritual areas that we cannot test with our senses by showing itself true in those areas that we can test, such as historical accuracy, scientific accuracy, and prophetic accuracy.

We should read and study the Bible because God does not change and because mankind's nature does not change; it is as relevant for us as it was when it was written. While technology changes, mankind's nature and desires do not change. We find, as we read the pages of biblical history, that whether we are talking about one-on-one relationships or societies, "there is nothing new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9). And while mankind as a whole continues to seek love and satisfaction in all of the wrong places, God—our good and gracious Creator—tells us what will bring us lasting joy. His revealed Word, the Bible, is so important that Jesus said of it, "Man does not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4). In other words, if we want to live life to the fullest, as God intended, we must listen to and heed God's written Word.

We should read and study the Bible because there is so much false teaching. The Bible gives us the measuring stick by which we can distinguish truth from error. It tells us what God is like. To have a wrong impression of God is to worship an idol or false god. We are worshiping something that He is not. The Bible tells us how one truly gets to heaven, and it is not by being good or by being baptized or by anything else we do (John 14:6; Ephesians 2:1-10; Isaiah 53:6; Romans 3:10-18, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9-13). Along this line, God's Word shows us just how much God loves us (Romans 5:6-8; John 3:16). And it is in learning this that we are drawn to love Him in return (1 John 4:19).

The Bible equips us to serve God (2 Timothy 3:17; Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12). It helps us know how to be saved from our sin and its ultimate consequence (2 Timothy 3:15). Meditating on God’s Word and obeying its teachings will bring success in life (Joshua 1:8; James 1:25). God’s Word helps us see sin in our lives and helps us get rid of it (Psalm 119:9, 11). It gives us guidance in life, making us wiser than our teachers (Psalm 32:8, 119:99; Proverbs 1:6). The Bible keeps us from wasting years of our lives on that which does not matter and will not last (Matthew 7:24-27).

Reading and studying the Bible helps us see beyond the attractive "bait" to the painful "hook" in sinful temptations, so that we can learn from others' mistakes rather than making them ourselves. Experience is a great teacher, but when it comes to learning from sin, it is a terribly hard teacher. It is so much better to learn from others' mistakes. There are so many Bible characters to learn from, some of whom can serve as both positive and negative role models at different times in their lives. For example, David, in his defeat of Goliath, teaches us that God is greater than anything He asks us to face (1 Samuel 17), while his giving in to the temptation to commit adultery with Bathsheba reveals just how long-lasting and terrible the consequences of a moment's sinful pleasure can be (2 Samuel 11).

The Bible is a book that is not merely for reading. It is a book for studying so that it can be applied. Otherwise, it is like swallowing food wit

• Brad

Read a story a day. Take it slowly. Stop, think about it. Find some parallels to your own life. Find symbols of Jesus and parallels with the gospel.

For example, Jesus can be symbolised as a rock or a spring of water. The Bible can be symbolised as a loaf of bread or a sword. A field of wheat or a large pool of water represents the people in the world. A serpent represents satan. A red cord of rope represents the flowing blood of Jesus and his love.

You'll find these parallels by comparing the gospels and the stories all through the Bible. Some of these symbols are even stated obviously. For example, 1 Corinthians 10:4 talks about when the Israelites were in the wilderness and Moses struck the rock (in Numbers 20). It says, "for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ."

You can take the entire story of Ruth and see how she went with her family to a land of sin, then went with her mother back to the land where "God was", where she found somebody who cared for her (Boaz who symbolises Christ), who kept her away from the scary men and looked after her. He provided her and her families' income. He gave her a field to work in (symbolises the work of the christian in the world). And at night she was told to go and lay at his feet. This is like what we should do. We should come and sit at the feet of Jesus. Humbly listen to his voice. Then she marries Him. We go into a symbolic marriage when we become baptised. We become one with Christ. In the story of Ruth is the story of salvation. And you will find a parallel in every story. I skimmed over the details too. There is so much depth we haven't discovered yet. Layer upon layer.

Reading the Bible is like eating food (See Jeremiah 15:16). It's better if we don't scoff it all at once, but rather savour the flavours.. feel the textures in your mouth. Enjoy it and try and get some depth out of it.

• Jeff B

I smoked lots of pot and found myself seeing it in a different way... I imagined it to be the way Jesus must have seen it. I found God within it. I found profound truths about reality and the workings of it.

I read the bible straight through 3 times, and the new testament 5 additional separate times.

It is inspiring, but also raised many many questions. Eventually I had to ask God to please reveal to me what I was missing. And a different book found it's way into my hands. In this book were the exact answers to the many questions I had. Incredible. Then I sold everything but what I could fit in the bed of my little '85 toyota r22 and strapped a tarp over it, and began driving across the country to meet my father for the first time ever at age 24. This was 5 years ago. I had to find odd jobs on the way to pay for gas and food and met amazing people and found perfect opportunities... it was such an exhilarating journey. I lived with my dad for almost a year, and then drove home with the workings to become a completely changed man. Infact, I am now a man, finally, at age 29. It took nearly all of this time since to sort it all out and find my way back to enlightenment. My chaotic life is finally coming together with purpose and meaning. And I am ready.

It's a book. They have pages. Just pick it up and read it. Try a little bit at a time.

If you want to really understand the stories in it, you should try reading them and then writing out your impression of what happened.

• .

Try reading just one book a day. If you break it down that way, it doesn't take an incredibly long time. And, it gives you time to reflect on what you've read, to take in the details, and absorb the message.

My hunger for the word of God, only by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So does 'the lord of the rings'

Besides it's epic, old, and it has wise lessons too, and prophecies, so I figured I'd just start living by this book, since I could actually bring myself to read it, see.

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king."

(The Lord of the Rings- The Riddle of Strider, a poem contained in a letter from Gandalf which the innkeeper gives to Frodo, Chapter 'Strider'.)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

..Never meddled in the affairs of a wizard since.

Just start at the beginning and work through.Its a great story.

• it brings me hope and directs me to a Better life.

drugs can make any boring thing interesting