Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How segregated is NYC?

I know NYC is easily the most diverse place in the U.S. (and probably the world), but I've heard from several people that despite the diversity, it's largely segregated. Exactly how segregated is it? It appears that many neighborhoods are not just one race, but even one or maybe two dominant ethnicities.

Any New Yorkers or others here who want to comment or who could inform me?

Favorite Answer

Based on my trips to NYC, I would say it's "financially segregated" in Manhattan south of Harlem. From Uptown, Midtown and Downtown, the majority of the people are affluent Caucasians and Asians with some Latinos and Middle Eastern folks sprinkled in. The Bronx is mainly Latino & blacks, Staten Island is mainly Italians and other Caucasians, Brooklyn and Queens are the most diverse out of all the boroughs in my opinion...I wouldn't say that NYC is segregated racially. It just happens that the whites and Asians are better off financially allowing them to be able to afford high rent prices in Manhattan.

Source(s): Puerto Rican with family in NYC

I hate to admit it but it is a fact NYC is largely segregated.

What makes it different is the degree.

Go anywhere in the country there is black white segregation.

We all know it,and tolerate it as long as it's "voluntary".

In NYC, you have neighborhoods that from the outside may appear "white" but are in fact Serbs but no Croats or Poles and few Russians. Same for Asians, east asians,southwest asians and so on.

The second level is economic.The poor,working class poor, the rich and super rich actually live in more Integrated areas than the middle class.

In a nutshell, Donald Trump has Black,Asian,Indian neighbors, Archie Bunker doesn't.

If you have money you live in the white areas if you dont have money you live with everybody else.

It's better to live with everybody else.

as segregated as the stretch marks on ma big black booty