Question about college year names. (Sophomore, freshman, junior, senior.)?

First question: Do two year colleges use year names like that? I'm starting out at a comm. college, so I guess I'd be a freshman, but it wouldn't really make sense if there aren't four years...?

Second question: Is it just years or what? I thought it was just year one: sophomore, year two: freshman, etc. but I heard someone say they'd been a junior for three years. How does that happen?

Yeah, he had failed a few. Or a lot.

That's actually whay had me wanting to ask. I'd thought the names went by the years, rather than classes.

And I know it's not a big deal. Just wanted to know... :)

Favorite Answer

Your college title depends on the number of credits you have. If you are on the semester system it would go:

0-29 units: Freshman

30-59 units: Sophomore

60-89 units: Junior

90-120 units: Senior

So basically a first year student is a Freshman, a second year student is a Sophomore, a third year student is a Junior, and a fourth year student is a Senior. Really is just like the HS scheme.

To the best of my knowledge community colleges don't use the freshman/sophomore title scheme. But if you transfer to a 4 year college after you get your Associates, then you'd enter as a Junior.

• Sandy6 years agoReport

so if i took a couple college classes in my high school would i go into a college being a freshman or a sophomore

We use these terms in both high school (secondary) and college/university. Most people start high school at 14 and graduate at 18. In both promotion is based on number of credit earned. A freshman is fresh from the other school. It is also called 9th grade in high school (9 years after kindergarden). A sophomore is still soft, but he has more than the freshman. (10th grade usually 15) A Junior is 11th grade usually 16. A Senior is 12th grade, usually 17. Most turn 18 in the school year and graduate at 18. In some schools it is possible to graduate at 16 or as old as 21.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Second question: Is it just years or what? I thought it was just year one: sophomore,...

Source(s): question college year names sophomore freshman junior senior: https://shortly.im/d3HN1

Its not that big of a deal- either way, a cc calls you a freshman/ sophmore even though- in the purest sence- if you plan on stopping with your associates and not moving on to get a bachelors, your technically only a freshman then year two a senior.

As to 3 years as a junior- thats not really possible unless you fail classes. You can be a fifth year senior or even 6th year senior though.

Year 1 - Freshman

Year 2 - Sophomore

Year 3 - Junior

Year 4 - Senior

Yes, two-year colleges use these terms. You are a freshman your first year and sophomore your second year. It doesn't matter that the college doesn't have 4 years; they still use the terms freshman and sophomore for the first and second years of college.

Your status is determined by the number of credits you have. So yes, you could be a junior for 3 years if you didn't pass your courses and didn't earn your credits. You could also be a junior for 3 years if you weren't going to school full-time and were taking only a few credits each semester. I think you have to earn 30 credits per year to move to the next level (and you need at least 120 credits to graduate).

Source(s): I am a college professor
  • lizzie

82

Source(s): AskOnlineCollege - http://www.askonlinecollege.com

why not just 1st year to 4th year???.....Americans complicate things for no reason at all.

No it goes Junior, Freshman, Senior, Sophomore. Get it right.

Source(s): I'm smart.