If I have a weak signal from a community wireless network can I use a repeater to boost it?

My building (27 floors) has free wireless internet but I get a very weak signal in my apartment. It works well most of the time (actually insanely fast) but it hiccups a lot and drops connectivity. It will go from being blazing fast to crawling to completely non-functional. I watch a lot of Instant Watch on Netflix... show more My building (27 floors) has free wireless internet but I get a very weak signal in my apartment. It works well most of the time (actually insanely fast) but it hiccups a lot and drops connectivity. It will go from being blazing fast to crawling to completely non-functional. I watch a lot of Instant Watch on Netflix and Hulu which are suffering greatly as a result.

I'd hate to spend the extra cash on a wrieless repeater if it is only going to amplify the crappy connection. Would I be better off to abandon the free wireless and just pay for my own cable internet?