? asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

breast cancer research: sexism against men?

women live 7 years longer on average, yet have all the attention for medical causes. how exactly is this fair? why is it "ladies first", EXCEPT to the grave?

Favorite Answer

"...have all the attention for medical causes"

Really? Show me.

The fact is, medical research used only male subjects for many years, and only recently began studies on women. Once they did, they discovered that women experience different symptoms of heart attack than men. This is just one example of how the historical "man's world" ignored women and their needs.

Men would enjoy longer lives if they took proactive measures to protect their health. Even medical professionals will tell you men do not bother with regular check ups, and they delay treatment of conditions, which in the long run ends up costing them more in terms of treatment and personal suffering/discomfort.

I refuse to take responsibility for the poor decisions so many men make about their health. You wanna live longer? Do what you have to do.

@Benino - if it's about the money, there's this thing called PRIVATE FUNDING. You can start a foundation to raise money for anything. That's what was done for breast cancer.

You seem to be jealous that you hadn't thought of it first.

>>>Edit #2 : The Susan G. Komen foundation is a private group, started by one or two rich people who had lost a loved one to breast cancer. The rest is just good marketing. There is no societal conspiracy against men receiving health care research dollars or attention.

In fact it is 4 years longer, on average.

Far more money is spent on women's diseases than men's diseases. It really, really annoys me! Why does nobody care about me and half of my friends? I look at my female friends and realise that the government and society likes them more than me, is willing to spend more money on them than on me...and it makes me feel like trash.

Elf #3: That's part of the point. SOCIETY, as well as government, cares more about women than men. Another factor is that since women have been grouping together in specifically women's groups for decades they are used to working together for their own ends, while men are not used to gender-specific groupings of themselves. When men get together it is almost always for reasons other than gender enhancement. This is a societal trend that ought to be corrected and hopefully will be soon.

Elf again: I didn't say there was a 'conspiracy', I just mentioned that there was an attitude of not really giving a damn about men's problems, just like there is an attitude in the UK that the EU is a negative thing. ATTITUDE. You've got plenty of it.

Oooooh!

"A man diagnosed with prostate cancer has only one-quarter of the cash spent on research into his disease compared to the amount devoted to a woman’s breast cancer. The wide discrepancy shows the scale of the discrimination against men. The two diseases kill similar numbers" http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article57...

This disparity is less in the US (prostate gets about 55% of breast cancer funding) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/NCI/r...

Milktoast: Yea because women are solely responsible for reproduction.

Elf #3: Read the first post.

Edit#2: We should have the same attitude towards women's health.

• Lee

Because most men do not want to help themselves. We females will ware pink ribons for breast cancer, but I never say a man wear a blue ribon for his prostratre.

many "ladies here will say "cause men don't take care of themselves" but that's f*cking b*llshit,society hates men,and women are considered more valued than men.

i'm a man....and if i have 7 less years to look at boobs......please keep em as nice as possible for as long as possible

You wouldn't want a woman to lose one of both of her breasts and suffer mental anguish and loss of self-esteem would you? Women give life to the next generation, so we should take good care of them to repay them for going through the extremely dangerous process of childbirth.

men get breast cancer too.

dont be jealous cos we are better and far more valued by society :D

Source(s): LOL