jo p asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

are swordtails fin nippers?

Favorite Answer

That is not their typical behavior. But even peaceful community fish can sometimes exhibit bullying behaviors depending on the setup, and whether the fish in question is the dominant fish in the tank.

• Martin

Nope, to be honest they don't have the mouth structure to be fin nippers, they have an upward pointing mouth, for surface feeding, which is not idea for parasitically behavior, such as fin nipping.

All it takes is a quick observation, of some species. and your see its not feasible, it would be like trying to open a can with a bottle opener.

Well, it depends on their behavior. I have had some swordtails and they were SO sweet and I remember my other swordtail would nip at other fishes fins. hope this helps and good luck!

well i keep mine in a community with angelfish if you want them to be peacefull you need 6+ i wouldn't reccomend them as begginners what size is your tank is it heated filtered cycled? need more information for all i know your tank could be stocked?