Sheri W asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

my cats poop looks like mucus. Why?

I have a cat I got recently. The breeder said her diorea was from stress. She has been to the vet and has no parasites her stool was tested. She has been given Revalution. It has been 3 weeks but now her poop is like egg white or a clear mucus with a little food in it. I have never seen anything like it. Can any one tell me what it is or have any ideas to help her. I had been told to use kaopectate by the breeder and the vet also said but it didn't help any. thanks

Also it is NOT an infection as she has been on antibiodics and there has been no improvement...and its not white its clear

If it is just stress how long should it take to go away? its been 3 weeks with no imporvement!

Also the cat is a 7 year old retired breeder

Favorite Answer

It could be from stress, definitely. The mucus in the stool is evidence of colitis (inflammation of the colon) which could be from a lot of different things, and stress is one of them. She might not have any of the typical parasites that are tested for (roundworm etc, because Revolution treats for those things too), but she might also have them at low levels. If it were me I'd have her stool checked again for routine parasites, and also for Giardia (ask for the antigen test) as well as Tritrichomonas foetus (PCR/DNA test, not the culture). Get repeated deworming even if the fecal is negative, use a special GI diet for a while, and maybe some symptomatic treatment for the diarrhea other than kaopectate, if it's not working (ie ask the veterinarian about metronidazole). If it's stress-related then work on that too, try pheromones in the house (see Feliway website).

Some breeds are more predisposed to problems like inflammatory bowel disease, too, so you might need to get more diagnostics for the cat. Don't give up, it's not normal.

Source(s): I have done a lot of book-learnin' on these things. http://www.feliway.com/us and http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/indoorcat.htm

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

my cats poop looks like mucus. Why?

I have a cat I got recently. The breeder said her diorea was from stress. She has been to the vet and has no parasites her stool was tested. She has been given Revalution. It has been 3 weeks but now her poop is like egg white or a clear mucus with a little food in it. I have never seen anything...

Source(s): cats poop mucus why: https://biturl.im/zsSzW

Clear Mucus In Stool

Pooping Clear Mucus

Check out the website I put a link to in the sources. There's some good information there:

"What Causes Mucus in Stools?

Mucus in stools may occur as a result of a number of factors ranging from eating unusual things like rotten or spoilt food, garbage or road kill, overeating, food allergies, ingesting poisons and chemicals as sudden changes in diet. It may also be due to parasitic infections such as hookworm, whipworm, roundworm or tapeworm, diarrhea, colitis, parvo or corona virus.

Help for Mucus in Stools

Depending on the cause of the problem, certain medications and a special diet will be administered. Vital changes to your pet’s diet and lifestyle such as feeding him a healthy, well balanced diet and regular exercise can make a significant difference to the overall health of your dog or cat.

Natural Remedies

Natural remedies are beneficial in promoting digestive functioning and the production of healthy, firm stools in pets. Herbs and biochemic tissue salts are gentle and safe to use without the negative effects of harsh medications.

Herbal ingredients such as Psyllium nigram, Avena sativa Oats) and Aloe ferox support the digestive system, maintain healthy bowel functioning and also act as a natural system cleanser. Natrium muriacticum is a biochemic tissue salt that is known for supporting digestive and skin health."

its stress or quick changes in cat food my cat used to do the same just wait it out itll go away

make sure to stick to 1 kind of cat food... switching the cats diet from one food to another will cause this problem

She's probably sick or has an infection.

• nini

Srsly, get a new vet.

White? Must be a tape worm or maybe her stomach was abused by a previous owner, idk.

Well, the only thing i can think of that might be causing this is that she is stealing the mucus from your nose while you sleep so block your nose while you sleep, i suggest duct tape worked for me.