Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

Information on living on a house boat?

Hi Im just wondering out of curiousity, this probably might be a little bit long. Whats it like living on a house boat? I am aware that you need a license that can cost up to £600 per year and insurance third party up to 1 million at the minimum. If you was to for example park it on your local canal and moor it up could you do that while you went to work for day then at weekend just take it out and go around the country. Can the canal boat move along the canal - river without anyone steering eg like if a wheel lock was in some sort of place???, what about clean water and warm water, also what is the best type that doesnt require much maintance and painting. And whats the cheapest???, and what if you dont want to moor your boat eg at a mooring place and pay like £1,000+.

Thank you

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't just have to consider a houseboat which is usually a large vessel which is more of a floating cottage and remains moored in one place.

A canal boat (narrow boat maximum of 6' 10" wide or a wide-beamed barge which is limited by the canals on which it can be used) is a different kettle of fish.

I have a narrow boat, used principally for holidays, weekends and a country cottage.

You have options when it comes to mooring. You can moor in a Marina with a Residential Mooring Licence - this will more often than not give you access to a berth with electric hook-up and water, while the Marina itself will probably have facilities like pump-out, Elsan disposal, laundry room, showers, resident wardens, chandlery and a shop for necessaries like bread, milk, eggs, etc. You will pay the lowest rate of Council tax in that area.

You can moor in a very basic place, like the bottom of a farmer's field, at a low rent, but you will have no facilities apart from the mooring.

You can choose to be a "Continuous Cruiser" - this means that you can moor up anywhere that has no restrictions, for a maximum of two weeks after which time you must move on a minimum of two miles before mooring up again.

Warm water - either by running your engine or switching on an immersion heater.

Clean water - you can refill your water tank at any BW tap along the canal (included in your Licence fee) or when you pass a Marina - some will make a charge others don't.

Cruising without a steerer? Not to be recommended! There are a lot of other boats, bridges and tunnels and the canals aren't built in a straight line.

The best type which doesn't require much in the way of maintenance and painting is probably a "Sea Otter" which is made from marine-grade aluminium alloy to BS 5083. They have a web site so you can have a nose.

Cheapest new narrow boats are probably Liverpool Boat Company and New Boat Company. Their interior layouts are imaginative and good - shame they use inferior imported hulls, but that's why they can be build down to a price.

If you buy a steel hull, remember that you will have to budget in derusting and blacking the hull so that is an ongoing cost, you also have anodes to replace.

Why don't you come to Crick at the end of May - loads of boats will be on display. There will also be a few canal boats at the NEC Show 23rd-28th Feb; Sea Otter and New Boat are usually there.

Remember to go for the shortest boat on which you can manage. Everything to do with a boat is by the foot - so much per foot to buy, so much per foot to moor, bigger boat costs more in insurance and Waterways Licence.

I have a 30' on which I could live happily by myself but would probably need a 40' if husband and I were living on one permanently together.

• 1 decade ago

A friend once told me that living on a houseboat was a good way to get in touch with nature in a marine kinda way. Where I live, on the Mississippi, there's usually a dock fee of around 800 dollars. That with the registration of the vessel, and proper insurance to cover both you and the other guy, is the only expense. You do have to have control of the vessel your using, whether it be docked, driven, or floated but having control of it is important for insurance reasons anyway. I doubt you would leave your house unlocked to the world, so I'm quite certain personal control of your houseboat is equally important. Houseboats are usually built to your spec's, so there's a broad range of amenities you can put in them like, hot&cold running water, generators, furniture, appliances, spas, marble, wood floor plans, the list goes on and on. There is a major houseboat manufacturer in Somerset, Kentucky that makes luxury models and has had customers from Egypt , Saudi Arabia, and Mexico to name a few.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

A house bost? A house boat is static! sail bost or boat if handled by an expert should not unless incredibly unlucky be ok on the high seas! Put down your dog eared copy of Swallows and Amazons before the teacher catches you and you get sent home from your Junior school yet again! Oh and proof read your childish questions before you waste our time asking them! A House Bost In-Deed!

• Rita
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Source(s): Learn Building Boats http://renditl.info/BoatProjects/?Ioka
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ken k
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

used to be able to do what you want/NOT ANYMORE/too many pollution laws to stop you/fresh water and sewer hookups nec/needs a berth spot/cannot just drift/needs propulsion and steering etc/still nice to hang on the water tho/more expensive than living in apartment or in your country a flat

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.