Filing a VFR Flight Plan?

I'm confused. One person just asked if you need to file a VFR flight plan, and like eight people said no, but I just spent a semester at Embry-Riddle learning that it WAS required. Am I mistaken, is there some nuance that I missed that would explain that? I realize you'd need to file IFR, but I could've... show more I'm confused. One person just asked if you need to file a VFR flight plan, and like eight people said no, but I just spent a semester at Embry-Riddle learning that it WAS required. Am I mistaken, is there some nuance that I missed that would explain that? I realize you'd need to file IFR, but I could've sworn you need to file a VFR plan every time.
Update: @RickH: You're probably right, it must be just mandated by my school, and yes, they are Part 141 certified. I'd probably file them regardless just to be on the safe side. Thanks all