Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Is my wedding gonna look weird if...?

My colors for my wedding are white, red, and royal blue. I am kinda scary that it might look too patriotic if I do these colors tho!! But my fiance is a Marine so these are the only colors that will really look good with his uniform!! Please help...Do you think it will look bad?? Do you have any ideas as to what i can do to make it look not so patriotic??

Favorite Answer

Hi Kristin-

I have been married to my Marine for two wonderful years...Semper Fi!

I planned for a November wedding because I loved the Fall season, so my colors were red, orange and golds. Needless to say, the colors looked beautiful against my hubby's uniform. We also had 8 other Marines who were ushers and swords bearers (I hope you're planning to have those; it looks so beautiful). My sisters wore red dresses so that complimented the uniform very nice, too.

I don't think I would recommend that you go with the blue...as this would make his uniform look dull. Go with the red and I'm sure your dress is going to be some shade of white. Pick a color that still can play with the uniform's look like gold or silver. I also think that the red, white and blue, although trying to send out a sweet message patriotism, could be seen as typical or not creative.

If you are set on the red, white and blue....you could try to do bright red, white, navy blue and teal or aqua blue. I know it sounds funny, but put all the colors together and I think you would be surprised. You dont just want to have the dark red and navy blue...it will look too boorish against the uniform.

Hope that helps.Congrats!

Men's formal wear stands alone and need not harmonize with the ladies' dresses. It would be fine to have green and purple as your colors, even if the groom is wearing his royal and red dress uniform. I don't know how you would avoid the "red, white, and blue" look other by eliminating either the red or the blue. It is difficult to make a Marine in dress blues look anything other than patriotic, yes?

• Avis B

The combination of red, white, and blue is patriotic so if you want to look less patriotic than just use one color, either the RED or the BLUE with a touch of gold.

Answered by: A Certified wedding specialist / A Professional bridal consultant / A Wedding ceremony officiant

• It actually looks really good, as long as you keep the flags out of it. My best friend got married in December, and Did Navy and White, but the bridesmaids wore apple colored dresses from davids bridal. It was beautiful. Good Luck and Congratulations. Her Husband was also a Marine and the Red looked better with dress blues than the navy did.

Make it more about the blue and white, using the red as an accent. The red will really pop and look great. You are a good fiance/wife to be, and I can only imagine how much your husband and the guests will appreciate the look you are going with. The pictures will look great and give you memories to last a lifetime!

One of the most beautiful weddings I ever saw had the groom and his men in their Marine dress uniforms, the bride in white and her attendants in a gorgeous red. It can be both elegant and patriotic.

if the main colors are white and royal blue with just a few red accents (your flowers can be red and your bridal party flowers white or vice versa, you could have red accents on your white dress, you can have red ribbons or hair accessories for you or the bridesmaids if they are wearing blue dresses, red on the cake, a red runner for the aisle or a white runner with the flower girl using red petals....etc) the point is keep the red at a minimum and it will look awesome. of course, you could always do the same with the blue or even the white.

I agree with Ann S....I think you should remove one of the colors, specifically the blue. I think that shade of navy would be the hardest of the three colors to match, anyway.

And for the responder who said who cares if it looks too patriotic! Well, you seem to care..and that's what matters! It is your wedding day...you don't want to have any regrets!

What about yellow, white and royal blue for a less patriotic look? Or even Orange yellow and blue!

You could do royal blue and white and just have pink flowers as the accent! Or Royal blue and deep purple!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mVNQFjdp3b0/SKs-rVLEBLI/...

http://www.bridalbuds.com/wp-content/uploads/blue-...

http://www.ayleebits.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/0...

That's just a few ideas I found online!

I looked up Marine wedding and got this:

http://petalena.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tropic...

My friend's husband wore his dress blues and she has a pastel pink as her color.

• ann s

remove the blue or red

just red and white or blue & white

if he is getting married in his dress blues, don't try to match the wedding around his uniform, envision the whole scope of the room not 1 item

red white & blue is patriotic no matter how you present it

Source(s): a florist for 20 years