Which organization based in the United States works to alleviate poverty in the Philippines?

I have been helping families in the Philippines for five years now. I am not working regularly now and can not keep up with the needs of these great people. At this time, their needs are as follows:

Maizen (age 16) – Lost her one year old baby Aubrey on 12/7 due to fever for an undermined reason. The fever was not treated since medicine is not administered unless money is paid. The baby died after 9 days. Maizen also has a 2 year old. She was burned on her face a few days after the death of the first child when the house caught fire. Maizen does not live in the home of her family since she lives miles away where she is working; she lives where she works.

Note: Pfizer late last year blocked attempts by the Philippines Government to force lower prices for common medication.

Sheryl (age 23) – High School educate, the only one in the family, and has a two year old baby from rape. She supports her family which includes; a mother and father, 3 year old Dave, 17 year old Mark, 14 year old Michelle and 20 year old Hazel. I was able to provide them housing on 12/23; they are out of food now since 12/26 and have eaten only one meal since. I have provided Sheryl with money for medication for Sepsis and 4 other illnesses, and an August 2009 a hit and run injury. I also provided funds for her daughter’s asthma and her sister’s asthma.

Joann (age 24) – Is homeless since 12/23. The family she supports when she works includes her 70 year old mother and 77 year old father; the father had a stroke a year ago. She has a brother age 34 who works scavenging for almost anything to sell. He does a lot to provide food for the family. He captures stray dogs; the family eats dog once a week. Other family members are her sister age 28 and her sister’s five kids. The fifth child was born as a result of a conjugal visit with her husband who is in jail; he was arrested for selling drugs 3 years ago and has 2 more years to serve; he was selling to support the family. Conditions in the jails are such that prisoners are constantly sick and coughing, have open sores and diseases. None of the kids have ever gone to school. Although school is said to be free, the cost in fact, especially in Luzon, is 540 pesos a month; there are also fees for almost anything that you would expect to have free. Shortly after I met Joann she was coughing a lot and it was determined that she has TB. I paid for her TB treatment, about 70 USD a month for 6 months. She was only given half a monthly dose to take home with her at one time, since she could not refrigerate the medication. She had another brother who died 6 years ago at age 33.

I have been helping many Filipinos, mostly young women and teens; working to support their parents. I provide money so they can obtain food, shelter, medicine, travel and education. I have also helped some to start small businesses and I have sent books several times to an elementary school in Mindanao. I visited Mindanao in 2007.

I am currently challenged by my own underemployment and limited resources.

As it stands now there are few people who I have talked to and have contacted who care enough about people there; I seem to be unique that way. I stick with them as a good family member would through thick and thin. Often last year those who needed medical help had to wait until I could afford to help them. Eventually I will start a non-profit organization. I am now concerned with the immediate effects of not helping them which has brought hunger, homelessness, illness, injuries and even death.

Generally speaking 50 to 150 dollars now and another $100 to $200 for a small business would be the solution. I have a lot of things in storage that I can send; especially clothing, books and some shoes. Their problems are not insurmountable. When they can eat well, and stay healthy the kids can go to school and work in the expanding family business. I helped open a small photo shop in Mindanao; it is now a large print and business center also.

I am also interested in learning more about the psychology of giving; who gives and why. I see it as important that everyone helps someone it the developing world. One person in the United States has the Global Footprint of ten in the Philippines. Were it not for our advantage in doing business with the developing world, we would never have become a wealthy nation.

While we think counties such as Switzerland and Japan are grand; Switzerland derives most of its wealth from money laundering and 10% or Japan’s economy is driven by pornography. Dubai gets money from gold laundering!

I know one woman who supports an orphanage in Ethiopia; a former Miss Ethiopia.

Not mentioned is the girl whose six year old brother is dying of untreated fever.

A girl who’s 18 year old brother was recently stabbed by a gang; she is requesting fund to go home to see him, he is 50/50.

A gay friend and also a sixteen year old girl, each have mothers who are sick and at risk of dying. T

Favorite Answer

I admire what you have done so far, and what you are trying to do. Unfortunately there are few people who will value others lives as if it were their own; very few.

The Philippines is very corrupt, often the corruption started with overseas wealth. Some predict an overthrow of the governments soon; especially after the Ampatuan Massacre.

If you can, work with on the ground charities, but it might be they are unlikely to help your adopted families and friends.