Someone who's good with electronics or owns this...?

I have a casio electronic keyboard. And I love it. And for Christmas a few years ago, my mom bought me something that's supposed to go with the keyboard. I never used it cos, well, I didn't understand what it was for. And now I'm really curious about what it's supposed to do. It's a Universal PC MIDI Connector Cable. It's got 4 ports. There's a 15 pin sound card port (which I'm assuming connects to the computer?), a 15 pin joystick port (?), a 5 pin MIDI out and a 5 pin MIDI in (both of which I know attach to the keyboard itself). I have no clue what the point of them is. My mom said that it's supposed to attach to the computer so I can download more music onto the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure that's not it? I dunno. If someone owns one of these and can tell me what the point of it is, that would be incredibly helpful. Here's the link to show what I'm talking about:

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/CAB030.shtml

Thank you!!!

• TV guy
    Favorite Answer

Do Wikipedia MIDI

A Midi interface indeed allows you to interface your PC with your keyboard. For example, you can use s/w to create new "sounds" ( for new instruments) and then download them to your keyboard.

I don't know for sure, but it seems that the wire's supposed to connect some MIDI sequencing software on your PC to the keyboard.

There're two similar round connectors that go into your keyboard. The IN connector goes into the OUT port and the OUT goes into the IN port. Yeah, right. The IN DOES NOT GO INTO THE IN PORT, it goes into the OUT port. If you don't have such ports on your keyboard, the wire's useless for you.

And then you have big 15 pin connectors, male and female. The male one's with the pins and the female one's with the holes for the pins to enter.

Connect the male socket to your CPU, to your PCI sound card if you have one, or to the onboard sound port if you don't. If you didn't understand the tech jargon, here's it repeated more simply.

Find all the ports at your CPU's back that the connector fits into. If there's only one port it goes into, you're good to go. If there's more than one, use the port which is besides the port where your speaker wires are connected. If you're still confused, just connect the wire to the lower of the two ports.

Then you use a software that belongs to the category of MIDI Sequencer. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do. But you install the software, go to some place that looks like OPTIONS/SETUP>MIDI PREFERENCES>DEVICES/OPTIONS/EQUIPMENT

a) If you want the sound to be produced by your keyboard, set the "Output Driver" to use the driver with the words "MIDI OUT", "MPU-401" or "EXTERNAL MIDI" in it. Unfortunately, this port is called something different on each sound card. For example, on the Sound Blaster cards it is usually called "SB MIDI OUT".

b) If you want the computer to "listen" or record from your keyboard, set the "Input Driver" to use the driver with the words "MIDI IN", "MPU-401" or "EXTERNAL MIDI" in it. Unfortunately, this port is called something different on each sound card. For example, on the Sound Blaster cards it is usually called "SB MIDI IN".

Now your devices are connected though I'm not sure what capability that gives you. I think now you can record your music on your PC and some more features.

Dell pc for only surfing the internet and such. Macbook for college. iPod touch. iPod Nano. Blackberry. television. Kindle fire. If gaming consoles count extensive style, then I genuinely have: psa million, 2 and 3. PSP. XBOX 360. Nintendo DS. Nintendo 3DS. Gamecube. and that i think of it is it. i'm specific I genuinely have some older consoles someplace in my father and mom dwelling house that i did not record right here, yet they at the instant are not significant seeing as i don't use them.