? asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My apartment wants me to get a non agressive dog breed?

I am considering a Doberman Pinscher but are they still considerred an agressive dog breed? Because all I have read about them says that they are easy to train and they are very sociable animals. So i think that this would be a perfect dog since I like large breeds and they are light weight. I dont want any other dogs just what you KNOW about them. Also is there any way I could get a professional dog traineres opinion on this breed to give to management? Because I know that this dog is a very sociable breed that would work well in a community environment.

Favorite Answer

Sadly, Dobes are still on the lists of "aggressive" breeds, even though they are very loyal, social, and wonderful dogs. I owns pitties and everyone loves my girls because they were properly socialized and are well behaved. Even so, it is terribly hard to find an apartment. The one I'm in asks no questions and has no restrictions, but there is a $400.00/pet deposit. Small price to pay to keep my girls. Talk to your landlord and find out if they restrict only pitties, or if they restrict other breeds as well. Also, If there is a BSL in your area, you need to know what breeds it's targeting, otherwise your landlord won't be your only problem.

An acquaintance of mine owned a Dobe (she wasn't a good owner) and that dog was amazing! She was such a wonderful girl. I can only imagine what she would've been like in the correct hands...

Source(s): Pit Bull Mom and Pit Bull Rescue

Doberman Pinshcer are normal consider an aggressive breed by apartment standards, even though a properly and well socialised dog will be friendly.

Dogs known for there friendly nature, however not neccessarily apartment friendly

Alaskan Malamute

Basset Hound

Beagle

Bichon Frisé

Bloodhound

Brittany

Bulldog

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

English Setter

Golden Retriever

Irish Setter

Labrador Retriever

Newfoundland

Old English Sheepdog

Siberian Husky

Vizsla

Apartment and generally friendly breed with proper socialisation

Affenpinscher

Australian Terrier

Basset Hound

Bichon Frise

Boston Terrier

Brussels Griffon

Bulldog

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Chihuahua

Chinese Crested Dog

Continental Toy Spaniel, Coton De Tulear

Dachshund

Dandie Dinmont Terrier

English Toy Spaniel

French Bulldog

Havanese

Italian Greyhound

Japanese Chin

Lhasa Apso

Maltese

Miniature Poodle

Miniature Schnauzer

Papillon

Pekingese

Miniature Pinscher

Pomeranian

Poodle Miniature

Poodle Standard

Poodle Toy

Pug

Schipperke

Schnauzer Miniature

Schnauzer Standard

Scottish Terrier

Shih Tzu

Silky Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Standard Schnauzer

Tibetan Spaniel

Toy Poodle

West Highland White Terrier

Yorkshire Terrier

Breed consider aggression depending on different countires and rules so check 1st, it should have the names of restricted or dangerous breed in the rules and regulation of your apartment, if they don't, check your local animal shelter

Dalmatian

Akita

American Bulldog

American Pit Bull Terrier

American Staffordshire Terrier

Bouvier des Flandres

Boxer

Bullmastiff

Cane Corso

Chow Chow

Doberman Pinscher

Dogo Argentino

Dogue de Bordeaux

German Shepherd Dog

Giant Schnauzer

Great Dane

Irish Wolfhound

Japanese Chin

Neapolitan Mastiff

Presa Canario

Alaskan Malamutes

. Huskies

Pretty much every breed of dog is non-aggressive unless they are abused or brought up to be aggressive! And yes, Dobermans are big sooks - used to have a red one.

You will find plenty of info if you google the dog species which you could print and give to your landlords. Or speak to your vet or a dog trainer who may be able to help.

But.....consider this. Do you really think it fair on the dog - one that needs a LOT of exercise and stimulation, to be locked up in an apartment all day? I don't. What happens if you have to move for some reason and are not allowed any animal, or one that is no more than a certain size and weight in the next place of residence? What are you ging to do with the dog?

Although you appear to be doing some thinking about all of this, I'm sorry, but I believe it will be unfair and cruel on the doberman and you should reconsider the type of dog you want in an apartment - if any.

Wonderful choice. They're a fantastic dog, given that they are trained correctly, but you know that already. Dobermans are a breed of dog with a bad rep, but they are not by nature naturally very aggressive at all really.

The thing is though, is that while I could find you some links that would convince anyone that dobermans are great dogs...you'd have to take it up with the managements insurance company, because unfortunately, generally those are the people who decide which breeds are allowed and which are not.

We all know the dog is just as aggressive as the owner that trains it, but unfortunately some breeds have been classified as the aggressive breeds, even though lots of the dogs today are regular sweet hearts. In our clinic, I would say about 80% of the "aggressive breed" dogs are really really nice and friendly. Those owners invested in basic training as pups, took them to parks and the vet often, they have other doggy friends and they are regularly exercized. The other 20% is nervous and mean because the owners never trained them or exposed them to other dogs, places, and people thinking they might be too dangerous.

Your landlord will not allow aggressive breed dogs because they cost more to insure. Even though you might have the nicest dog out there with the best training, to an insurance company it's a liability. Those dogs used to be trained to be guard dogs and attack dogs, so they were given bad reps. Even if you get a trainer to convince them, they would need to change their insurance policies, which would be a hassle and cost more money.

I would just conform to another breed, unless you want to find another apartment. Management could find someone else without a dog to rent your apartment if you don't like their policy.

There is no such thing as an aggressive dog breed. You can find aggressive dogs in every breed in the world. That said, there are breeds that INSURANCE companies deem aggressive. That includes, german shepherds, pit bulls, dobermans, Rottweiler's, Rhodesian Ridgebacks and other large breeds. Some include cocker spaniels as well as dalmations. Not all insurance companies feel the same way, but I guarantee you that if your apartment complex is asking this, they will include the doberman on the list. It's unfortunate that due to poor handling of dogs that are bred for dominance and confidence that they receive bad press.

Source(s): Owner/trainer of dogs www.dogdayz.vpweb.com Foster rescues www.Mollysmilitia.org

Doberman pinschers are still considered an aggressive breed along with the german shepherd and husky. I understand your pain because I was in the same situation (and still am). Honesty though, I think it's best not to get a doberman pinscher or any bigger breed for the matter if you live in a small space, like an apartment. They need room to run, so unless you go jogging everyday, they probably wouldn't be ideal. In my case, I chose my next favorite breed, which is a Corgi and ended up getting a corgi/cattle dog mix. She's very smart and very playful, not to mention she's got the beautiful merle coat of the cattle dog and the big, dorky ears of the corgi. Trust me, I plan on getting a doberman (a blue one to be exact) in the future, but it'll be once I have a huge backyard for it to run and play with its sister in. Good luck!

I work for an apartment community and there is nothing that can be given to us to allow us to accept an aggressive breed dog. It's nothing personal, it is just a bigger liability for us to allow these type of breeds. We can't allow you to have a sweet and social Doberman because you have a letter of credit, and then deny your neighbor the same option. I know that all dogs are not the same, but with the rough history that most 'aggressive breeds" have been given, some businesses just can't take the chance.

Pretty much any breed thought of as a guard dog will be considered an "aggressive" breed.. unfortunately, if it just took the word of a trainer many other breeds would be able to be taken off the list as well.. that's not how it works..

I don't think anything you do will make a difference.. most of the reasons they'd have for that kind of restriction have to do with the insurance company.. If an "aggressive" breed lives on premises they could have their insurance cancelled..

The easy answer to this question is for you to go to the apartment manager and ask them for their list of aggressive breeds. As other people have said, this is probably being driven by their insurance company, and thus what is on one company's list may not be on another's.

And if dobies are on the list, do not try and sneak one in, since any breeder or rescue that is legit is going to contact the apartment manager to ensure that they are allowed before letting you have one of their dogs. If they don't do that, you are going to wind up with the kind of dog that causes problems.